Need help- newbie with the FAS-DPD test

Jul 20, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I just got my Taylor 2006 test in yesterday. I've done as much reading as I can on here and in Pool School. New pool owner. Installed last Sat. Water was filled with 2.5 loads from a water delivery truck and about 8 hrs worth of water from our well, that has the faucet connected to an iron filter.

So this was the results this morning:

FC: 28 ppm
CC: 0 ppm
PH: 8.0
TA: 330
CH: 380
CYA: no reading

For my questions:
1. From what I've read on here, it's ok to get 0 for CYA if I am doing the sock method, as it doesn't register until about a week, correct? I checked the sock this morning (it's been in for 2 days) and there's still a lot of granules in there (it's a tall sock). I've been squeezing with my hand about once per day.

2. For CH, I read that should be under 300? How do I decrease it, or will that come down with time since it was just filled last week?

3. For TA, if I understand correctly, if I get my PH in line, the TA will go down, correct?

4. How do I translate the 28 ppm for FC into a single digit #? I've read it should be between 3 and 5...Or is that telling me my FC is very high? I put in 2 gal of liquid chlorine this morning as the FC was reading 0.

EDITED:
I did my FC wrong. The correct reading is 11 ppm. And I used 10% liquid chlorine.

28 FC is way high, how many gallons of bleach did you add? Did you count 56 drops? it will come down about 3 to 5 FC per day

the only way to reduce CH is to drain and add new water so your kind of stuck with 380, just keep your PH below 7.8 and your CSI in the 0 range

with a TA of 330 your PH will rise very fast, You really need to drop it, here are the directions Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I hope this helps :)

If using the 10ml sample, each drop is 0.5ppm. It would take 56 drops for a reading FC of 28ppm using a 10ml sample.

2 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine will only add 13ppm of FC to your 19K gallon pool.

Dom

I just got my Taylor 2006 test in yesterday. I've done as much reading as I can on here and in Pool School. New pool owner. Installed last Sat. Water was filled with 2.5 loads from a water delivery truck and about 8 hrs worth of water from our well, that has the faucet connected to an iron filter.

So this was the results this morning:

FC: 28 ppm
CC: 0 ppm
PH: 8.0
TA: 330
CH: 380
CYA: no reading

For my questions:
1. From what I've read on here, it's ok to get 0 for CYA if I am doing the sock method, as it doesn't register until about a week, correct? I checked the sock this morning (it's been in for 2 days) and there's still a lot of granules in there (it's a tall sock). I've been squeezing with my hand about once per day. CYA generally takes about 48 hours to fully register. You can "help" it along by squeezing more often

2. For CH, I read that should be under 300? How do I decrease it, or will that come down with time since it was just filled last week? Knowing your fill water levels is a big factor on this one.. If its at 380 when you fill, then you are pretty much stuck with it unless you can find a water source with lower levels... Luckily Vinyl pools don't increase over time like plaster pools do.
3. For TA, if I understand correctly, if I get my PH in line, the TA will go down, correct? Lowering TA is a painfully slow process... Lowering PH with MA will gradually lower Ta but only a little bit at a time.

4. How do I translate the 28 ppm for FC into a single digit #? I've read it should be between 3 and 5...Or is that telling me my FC is very high? I put in 2 gal of liquid chlorine this morning as the FC was reading 0.looks like you figured this one out!!

EDITED:
I did my FC wrong. The correct reading is 11 ppm. And I used 10% liquid chlorine.

See above edits for some answers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.