Replaster - yes?

Rocketfish

Bronze Supporter
Jun 6, 2016
Orange County, CA
Below are pictures of my pool, and closeups of the various surfaces. I bought this house 2 months ago and along with it the 30 year old pool. Please note, these pictures were taken AFTER I vigorously brushed the surfaces, so it's not algae or dirt. The water is perfectly balanced as I worked on it for the first month diligently and even used RO since we're in a drought.

I would replaster this ASAP, except that the city isn't allowing me to drain and refill my pool, so I guess I'm stuck with the unsightly surface. OR... as I view it, surfaces with character :)

General picture

Closeup of one of the steps. Is that scaling, or bad plaster?

Dark spots / splotches everywhere

And this spot is my "favorite." It looked better before I brushed the PAINT off of it!

The mosaics are the cleanest surfaces!

Please let me know if there are ways to make my pool surfaces nicer looking. I am already assuming I need to replaster everything. I've thought about that technique where you lower ph drastically and brush the surfaces, to even buying that no drain acid washing contraption, but would like your opinions first.

My last pool like like that too (and also had been painted years prior).

If it's not leaking any water, then it's only a cosmetic concern.

Short of a miracle It could be quite awhile before the drought is over.

Have you checked the darker/brown spots with some crushed up vitamin C tablets in a nylon sock just to rule out any metal stains? Who knows what magic pool store potions the previous owner was using...

Yes, I would try some Vit C in a sock and some dry acid in a sock. Are the stained areas rough or raised?

I have read about this technique. Does the vit C test if it's iron or copper? Does the dry acid remove scaling? I can definitely try that.

I believe these dark spots are rough and seem very slightly deeper than the surrounding surfaces, which kind of tells me it's bad plaster, but I will try this! How long do you leave the vitamin C over a spot? how about the dry acid? how long?

Vitamin C will lighten iron stains pretty quick (let it sit for 15mins or so) but it may not change copper much. Copper stains, especially old ones, are not as reactive to vitamin C.

As for dry acid, be more careful with that. Only let it sit for a few minutes before removing it to check. Dry acid is a lot more corrosive to plaster so you don't want the contact time to be too long. Dry acid may work a little better on copper than vitamin C.

If you do find that there are metal stains, then Jack's Magic makes a stain ID kit you can buy to help exactly determine what kind of stains they are. The kit then helps you determine which particular stain removal program offered by Jacks will work best.

Vitamin C will lighten iron stains pretty quick (let it sit for 15mins or so) but it may not change copper much. Copper stains, especially old ones, are not as reactive to vitamin C.

As for dry acid, be more careful with that. Only let it sit for a few minutes before removing it to check. Dry acid is a lot more corrosive to plaster so you don't want the contact time to be too long. Dry acid may work a little better on copper than vitamin C.

If you do find that there are metal stains, then Jack's Magic makes a stain ID kit you can buy to help exactly determine what kind of stains they are. The kit then helps you determine which particular stain removal program offered by Jacks will work best.

Great info Matt, thank you. I will hit up my local Home Depot to see if they have dry acid, as I believe they do. I'll report back what I find. It would be so awesome if i didn't have to drain and replaster, but I really really think that is in order still.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.