Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The olympics needs you!

1. Back To Top    #1

19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The olympics needs you!

This is where someone needs to post the meme of the huge Clorox tanker truck
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Some send a TF100xl to Rio asap!!!!!

38k (L - Shaped) Vinyl. 1.5hp Pump, DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Someone send them a copy of the FC/CYA chart and the SLAM instruction page
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I saw the pool guy there. He was using test strips and declared the water to be safe. Just like a friend whose pool was green a few years back and kept telling me the chlorine is high...how can it be algae!

6. Back To Top    #6

The Olympics should have hired these two guys -

Even they know every good pool needs a good test kit...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Funniest story I have read all day.

Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

I heard it was green and they still used it!!! Go the Aussies, but hey, the Americans have been and continue to be very impressive.
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, CCL reagents, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

9. Back To Top    #9

Nice pond they have there.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

10. Back To Top    #10

The "reasons" I've been hearing about why it turned green have done a great job of proving to me that I know a whole lot more about my pool than I thought I did.
    In-Ground pool: 10,000 gallon / vinyl liner /
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter / Hayward H-series heater
    TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Was this likely a fast addition of copper algecide, followed by a shock treatment?

that or they filled that particular pool with well water with high copper?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

12. Back To Top    #12

The mystery of the green Olympics diving pool has been solved.

FINA, the international governing body of swimming, diving, water polo, synchronized swimming and open water swimming, released the following statement:

FINA can confirm that the reason for the unusual water colour observed during the Rio 2016 diving competitions is that the water tanks ran out some of the chemicals used in the water treatment process. As a result the pH level of the water was outside the usual range, causing the discolouration. The FINA Sport Medicine Committee conducted tests on the water quality and concluded that there was no risk to the health and safety of the athletes, and no reason for the competition to be affected.
    18 x 36 vinyl liner IG pool, grecian shape, ~27k gal
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward DE3620 Filter
    Hayward Aqua Rite Electronic SWG, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner
    TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

When they warned about not going into the water it was supposed to be the open water of Reo that's polluted not the indoor stuff. Then there was the story of the Olympic kayaker who may have capsized from hitting an underwater sofa !!

Rio 2016 Olympics Kayak Capsizes After Reportedly 'Hitting A Sofa'
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by drestes View Post
    The mystery of the green Olympics diving pool has been solved.

FINA, the international governing body of swimming, diving, water polo, synchronized swimming and open water swimming, released the following statement:

FINA can confirm that the reason for the unusual water colour observed during the Rio 2016 diving competitions is that the water tanks ran out some of the chemicals used in the water treatment process. As a result the pH level of the water was outside the usual range, causing the discolouration. The FINA Sport Medicine Committee conducted tests on the water quality and concluded that there was no risk to the health and safety of the athletes, and no reason for the competition to be affected.
    It scares me that an organization devoted entirely to sports conducted in swimming pools is so ignorant about basic water chemistry that they think the pH of the water can affect the color in any direct way. Other than some bizarre chemical reaction, there is only one thing that causes green pool - not enough chlorine. If the algae are blooming imagine what the bacteria and viruses are doing. I bet they just tested for chlorine and decided it was good if it was over 1 mg/L without any knowledge of the CYA levels.
    20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by sbcpool View Post
    It scares me that an organization devoted entirely to sports conducted in swimming pools is so ignorant about basic water chemistry that they think the pH of the water can affect the color in any direct way. Other than some bizarre chemical reaction, there is only one thing that causes green pool - not enough chlorine. If the algae are blooming imagine what the bacteria and viruses are doing. I bet they just tested for chlorine and decided it was good if it was over 1 mg/L without any knowledge of the CYA levels.
    Not entirely true. I can turn my pool green by letting the PH get too high because of iron in the water. It looks pretty close to the kind of green show in the photos.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by richguy View Post
    Not entirely true. I can turn my pool green by letting the PH get too high because of iron in the water. It looks pretty close to the kind of green show in the photos.
    Huh. I've always heard of chlorine doing that, but not pH.
    20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

17. Back To Top    #17

Some official said low or high PH could bring out metals coloring. What ever it is, how do you run out of chemicals for an Olympic pool? Looks like they ran out of chlorine because looks like algae to me.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

Given how quickly it must have turned colors and the brightness and uniformity of the color, metal coloring would be my guess. Would a pool really turn that green from Algae overnight?
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

19. Back To Top    #19

I would guess that it is perhaps copper ni the water. I know some blond swimmers have had their hair turn greenish.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Nice article from the CBC who actually contacted experts (rather than just speculate). How to make an Olympic swimming pool go green - Technology Science - CBC News
    27' AG Round (~17000 Gallons or 64000 L)
    Hayward 1.5 HP Power Flo Matrix Pump (2 speed usually run 6hrs high 18hrs low)
    Hayward CC150CAN XStream Cartridge Filter (150 ft^2 120 GPM)
    Hayward AquaTrol SWG
    Installed April 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast