Sunday - Aug 14th

FC - 4
PH - 7.8
TA - 70
CH - 110 Adding stabilizer today
CYA - 30 Adding another sock
SALT - 2750 Adding 2 bags salt

Spa level down 1" this morning... :confused:

To dissolve the stabilizer in the sock, I put a hose inside the sock. You can tie the sock to the hose with a string (if you need to) then put both in the skimmer. It helps dissolve the granules faster. I'm on my 2nd sock today.. not bad!

Hopefully decent numbers in the morning.. Boy I messed up this afternoon.. I "broadcasted" CYA into the pool thinking it was calcium chloride. I don't have a vacuum to get it out, so I used Mr. Polaris to pick it all up for me... which he did. Whew!! I put the poloris bag (filled with the granules) in front of the skimmer.. so all is well - think.. :D

I put Tabs in the rainbow feeder since we were going to be gone for a week.. Back home now.

Today - Saturday Aug 20th

CYA _ 70
PH - 7.5 - ok
CL - 3.5 (added 12 oz BL just now)
Salt - 2300 (low) according to Easy Touch Computer

Pool looks great - water feels sticky - non-stop rain here - ugh..

HUGE problem... Spa draining everytime pump turns off. Daily about 4-6 inches. I guess thats a whole new thread I think in "pumping forum," or keep going here? JUST replaced booster pump, check valve (5th time) o-rings etc... ugh. ($900, and still no fix..)

Thanks!

I've used tabs on 3 separate occasions. After each time, I've had to rebuild the check valve that keeps my raised spa from draining. I find the tabs to be quite corrosive to the seals, presumably when the pump is off.

Sticky water is usually hard or high alkalinity, both potentials exist in our Dallas water. What is your TA? Are you familiar with CSI? Keep CSI between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scale and make the water fell better.

It is better to put pucks into a floater and let it float around in the pool.

Yep, I'm over the rain and COLD!

I've used tabs on 3 separate occasions. After each time, I've had to rebuild the check valve that keeps my raised spa from draining. I find the tabs to be quite corrosive to the seals, presumably when the pump is off.

I don't normally use pucks, but I just got over a slamming process. On the first day to get back on track, we had to leave again. Actually, I'm going to turn off the feeder - thanks for the reminder!!

Last edited:
Sticky water is usually hard or high alkalinity, both potentials exist in our Dallas water. What is your TA? Are you familiar with CSI? Keep CSI between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scale and make the water fell better.

It is better to put pucks into a floater and let it float around in the pool.

Yep, I'm over the rain and COLD!

Last check - TA was 70, but my CH was 110 - I added stabilizer right before I left town. Will check again today. I ran out of time before we left, (since we're not supposed to add a whole bunch of different chemicals at once.)

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't fully understand the CSI numbers. The "greater than/less than" scale messes with my pea brain. Last time it was -0.7, which is certainly out of range.. (I think.... :hammer:)

I'll get a floater for future use! I've got to get some calcium chloride in there today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you do need to get the CH in there, up to 250 ppm. As it is now the water is too aggressive which can cause calcium to dissolve from the plaster and leave the plaster etched and rough. More CH will raise your CSI from -0.7 closer to 0. Getting salt up toward 3200-3500 ppm will make the water feel better too. It's is sunny today, nice day to hang out by the pool!

More on CSI and etching/scaling here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

My spa is still draining up to 4 inches per night... a whole other problem which keeps my readings skewed.. At least no more algae! :kim:

Tues:
PH -7.5
FC - 4.0
TA -70
CH -220 (ADDED 8LBS OF CALCIUM CHLORITE.. NEED MORE BUT THE DIRECTIONS SAID TO WAIT IN BETWEEN..)
CYA - 80
SALT - 2100 (ADDED 80 LBS FOR NOW..)

CSI (-.33 to .12)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.