Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: do I need a separate booster pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

do I need a separate booster pump?

Hi All,
    my current pump set up is that I have a single speed motor for main filtration and a booster pump to use for the polaris cleaner. I'd really like to switch to a VS pump and my question is do I still need to use a booster pump or can I have that running from the VS pump?

thanks!
    26,390 gallons IG, Centex plaster, Hayward DE 4820 filter, Century Centurion B2859 pool pump motor.
    Booster pump for polaris 280
    Spa
    Built 1997

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: do I need a separate booster pump?

I believe that you will still need the booster pump, as it is designed to run your cleaner.

I 'assume' you want a VS pump to save on your energy bill. If so, your best bet would be to buy the VS pump and a Robot cleaner which needs no booster pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    I believe that you will still need the booster pump, as it is designed to run your cleaner.

I 'assume' you want a VS pump to save on your energy bill. If so, your best bet would be to buy the VS pump and a Robot cleaner which needs no booster pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Yes, I was hoping to save on my energy bill. However, since the polaris runs for only 1 hour a day, it doesn't make sense to buy a new robot cleaner until the polaris gives in. Isn't it possible to run the VS pump for the polaris as well? I thought the point of the VS pumps was that you could vary the rpm to meet the separate needs of the spa/pool/cleaner?

Thank you for your reply.
    26,390 gallons IG, Centex plaster, Hayward DE 4820 filter, Century Centurion B2859 pool pump motor.
    Spa
    Built 1997

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

The booster pump provides specific pressure at a specific head to run these cleaners, the VS pumps are for controlling main Pool & Spa pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Polaris makes specific models for use with a vs pump. If you don't have one of those(see my sig) you will not have a good experience.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Polaris makes specific models for use with a vs pump. If you don't have one of those(see my sig) you will not have a good experience.

Thank you gwegan.

I am beginning to think that I will wait until my current single speed gives up before even replacing that. I am running my pump for 4 hours a day and I should go out with my multimeter to figure out how much that is costing me but I suspect not enough to justify replacing it before it gives up. Same with the polaris.

thank you all for your great replies.
    Spa
    Built 1997