Newbie! Electrical Questions!

I'm reading the study guide you linked. For an AGP with a depth > 42", am I reading 680.26(B)(2)(b) correctly on page 19: I have to bury an 8 AWG bare copper conductor around the perimeter of the pool base, within 18-24" of the pool wall? I knew that rebar in a concrete pool has to be bonded, but I think this is the first I've heard of burying a bare wire around a standard AGP.

Also, if I put the equipment underneath the deck next to the pool, I also need an electrical shutoff accessible above the deck surface, per 680.12?

Keep in mind that the National Electric Code, in and of itself, means nothing. IT is when a government (town, county, State, etc) adopts it as its' building code that it then means something. Not all municipalities have the same code. some follow an older version, because they have not got around to adopting the newer version. Other times they may apply more strignet rules. The language around what constitutes a "permanent pool" is an example. Some areas have adopted the NEC, but then include additional language that specificaily describes what is and is not a permanent pool. For example, my town states that all pools constructed permanently or temporarily must meet the 2015 NJ Edition International Resdential Code requiremenst for fencing requirements.

Keep in mind that the National Electric Code, in and of itself, means nothing. IT is when a government (town, county, State, etc) adopts it as its' building code that it then means something. Not all municipalities have the same code. some follow an older version, because they have not got around to adopting the newer version. Other times they may apply more strignet rules. The language around what constitutes a "permanent pool" is an example. Some areas have adopted the NEC, but then include additional language that specificaily describes what is and is not a permanent pool. For example, my town states that all pools constructed permanently or temporarily must meet the 2015 NJ Edition International Resdential Code requiremenst for fencing requirements.

I just want to keep my family safe and not get shocked. :D So I want to make sure my electrician knows what he's doing! Mine is 18' and 52" tall.

Ok

As to the NEC adoption in a particular place phonedave is correct it varies. However these sections have been in the code for a long time and are not controversial. Well sort of. And remember everything is subject to the wise interpretation of your local building official.

We generally give advice on what the most common code adopted is. Right now that is the 2014 Edition.

But lets talk about the last three posts.

Josh is in Kansas City Mo. Missouri does not have statewide adoption of the NEC. Local governments adopt what they want. I have no idea what Kansas cit has adopted.

Toodle is in North Carolina. It adopted the 2014 NEC effective April 1, 2016. I'm sure there are some transition provisions.

Dave is in New Jersey. Effective March 8, 2016 the 2014 NEC (with amendments whatever those are) has been adopted by NJ.

So with the exception of MO the 2014 NEC is the place to start.

Before starting I would go down to the local building offical with a copy of a hand drawn plan showing your entire property and describe what you want to do. Be open and honest most will be glad to discuss any issues they see such as set backs or bonding. For example under NEC 680.26 you can use a single wire to bond the pool perimeter. Not so much in California they generally want more.

Because our OP is in Missouri he really needs to go down and talk find out what the rules are and what references he can get. Many Cities in California put out multi page handouts that describe their specific requirements in detail.

Th Mike Holt PDF I use is a good primer, its designed to teach electricians about pool electrical. Even to electricians Article 680 is confusing and counter intuitive. As phonedave points out, its a static document that only looks at the 2014 NEC. But it serves the purpose of explaining what some of the jargon in the NEC actually means.

I live in the Kansas City metro area, but in an unincorporated area. The county is currently using the 2011 NEC. I've talked with the building inspector a couple of times on the phone about swimming pool requirements. Things are somewhat "relaxed". That said, I'd prefer to go beyond the minimums. I don't see burying a wire around the pool as being overly expensive, so if that's what the more recent 2014 NEC requires, I would do it.

Another question! Originally the electrician was coming out before the installation. But the installer told me to have him come out after the installation so the electrician will then know where the pump sits, etc. Pool is being installed tomorrow. Doesn't the electrician need to come ASAP after that so that water isn't sitting in the pool stagnant?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.