Olympic Pool

"We don't think it is dangerous or we wouldn't have our athletes in the water. But we are going to monitor to see if anyone is getting red eyes here, if their ears start hurting, we'll be dumping a whole lot of antibiotics into them."

Whole lot of antibiotics is exactly what an Olympic athlete needs during competition.

And now the second pool is turning green. haha. In one of the pictures you can see officials using test strips.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...like-dirty-pond-just-like-dive-pool-door.html

Edit: At first glance it looked like in the picture where they are testing the water the lady was holding a test strip. Upon closer look, I can't tell what she has in her left hand.

Love the last comment. Results were exactly the same today as when we tested yesterday... Well, they weren't right yesterday either folks!

Another case where they likely did not, or were not allowed to use CYA and did not have adequate or consistent levels of FC because the sun was breaking down the FC too fast. Maintaining even a lowish 30-40 ppm CYA for that region and then a constant 4+ ppm FC and the pool would have been pristine blue throughout the competitions without breaking a sweat. Even if they did not use CYA... test the pool every hour and keep the FC at 2 ppm...

Can we email the IOC the CYA/Chlorine chart? :p Get a FAS-DPD test and stop using the K-1000 test for an OLYMPIC pool.

Bad testing, lack of forethought and not buying enough chemicals.

FINA says change occurred when tanks ran out of proper chemicals used in the water treatment process

A pool consultant working for the Rio Organizing Committee said that the change had come about as a result of workers seeking to make a last-minute improvement to the color and clarity of the water. The person added that certain unknown components of the city water that goes into the pool after treatment might have been responsible for the imbalance.

And also:
...one problem was that while the pools had hosted divers before the Olympics, it was a smaller number of people than had used it in recent days.

Looks to me like she's holding a pen in her hand. The man does appear to be holding a test strip, but it also looks a little like those twist ties you get with a flag on it to write on. They're using a test kit with two bottles, one with a yellow top and one with a red top. I think they're using an El Cheapo® WallyWorld test kit that tests only chlorine and pH.

She has a pen and a bottle of reagent with a red cap in her left hand. Her right hand is putting yellow drops in the testing block. He has a baggie and a twisty. Probably to take the water sample elsewhere for testing. Pretty pale yellow by the way. If it is the OTO test there is not much chlorine in there.

I'm hoping Leebo's guess proves true and we learn that this is a "low-chlorine" UV or Ozone setup.

Then we would have the easy emotional explanation on our side, rather than needing to provide a logical explanation of how to save money when considering UV or Ozone for a new pool :) "do you wanna end up like Rio?"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm hoping Leebo's guess proves true and we learn that this is a "low-chlorine" UV or Ozone setup.

Then we would have the easy emotional explanation on our side, rather than needing to provide a logical explanation of how to save money when considering UV or Ozone for a new pool :) "do you wanna end up like Rio?"

Many places use UV in addition to chlorine not just to keep the water clear but also keep the air quality in the building acceptable. Here is a short article that gives a brief detail of what goes on into keeping one of these clean.

Yeh, I get it for commercial. I had slight involvement (fundraising, service club) for a community commercial pool project many years ago. And I'm not skeptical nor think I know much at all for those purposes. That said, it would just be nice to have some popular culture on our side once in a while, to counteract the "chlorine is bad" myths and emotions. Thanks for the article :)

So, serious question though. How do you chlorinate a 500,000 gallon pool? Keeping up with a 2ppm drop every day is 10 gallons of bleach a day. Bringing it up to shock level will be 50 gallons and then whatever it takes to maintain 10 ppm FC.

Oh my God, I'm watching the Olympics with my husband and he just pointed out the green water and said they were talking about it on the news this morning and I immediately came here and sure enough everybody's talking about it! I feel like we should all fly down there and help them!

So, serious question though. How do you chlorinate a 500,000 gallon pool?

You add enough chlorine. I know you're asking more about the mechanics of it (one of the reports I read mentioned that one of the tanks of chemicals had run out) but the problem in Rio is that no matter what your method is, you actually have to do it.

I'm sure the pool people down there can do math, but I'll bet someone else skimped on ordering the supplies to save money.

There are many, many pools of that size in the world, and they all do fine. Pool chemical use is like any other utility, entirely predictable. They don't power the facility by running an extension cord to it because they'd look like idiots in front of the whole planet. Now their pool staff looks incompetent, but what do you want to bet that their first phone call upstairs went like this: "I'm surprised it took so long, but you know that thing I said would happen and you said don't worry about? It's happening."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.