I'm new to TFP, and I have to give major props to this site - it has saved me quite a few times! So thank you so very much!! I am having an algae issue and I can't seem to find answers for a few of the questions I have. I'm trying to piece all of this information together to fix my specific problem, but I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing before playing chemist in our new 16K gallon above ground vinyl pool with a SWG and sand filter. Here's the current situation:
Problem: Greenish hue to water, no blooms but pool sides/floor slippery. Stairs definitely green. SWG is currently OFF.
Just had water tested at the pool store (SWG manual target #s in parenthesis):
Total Chlorine: 2.4
FC: 2.4 (1.0-3.0)
pH: 7.5 (7.2-7.6)
TA: 210 (80-120)
CH: 225 (200-400)
CYA: 45 (50-100)
Satl: 3590 (3200-4000)
Pool has been thoroughly brushed and vacuumed. Backwashed water greenish hue. Redirected return jet to just break water hoping to aerate. Utilized PoolMath calculator based on pH target 7.4 (first mistake by me, I think). Added 16oz MA ( second mistake - just saw it was the 'eco' kind. Said on bottle to use 1/4 of a bottle per 10K gallons. Oops).
1. Should I put the target pH in as 7.1 to further lower TA, then follow TFP "lowering TA" protocol? How long to wait in between doses of MA?
2. Should I return the other bottle of MA and get the non-eco kind? Or ...
2a. Should I add closer to 1/3 of the bottle?
2b. How long should I wait before I test it?
3. Once I add enough MA, how long until we can swim? I'd rather have my kids aerate the pool.
4. If the pool is chlorinated properly (as far as the numbers tell me) is it safe to swim in even if it's green as the TA is being lowered?
5. While I am fixing the TA/algae issue, should I keep the SWG OFF?
There was something else but I forget what it was - this is more than enough to start! Any insight you may be able to provide would be VERY helpful! Thank you so much for your time!