Suction side question

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Should I have the valve that divides suction between skimmer/main drains (they are tied together) and the suction to the vaccum port split 50/50 or should the vacuum suction be off unless using vacuum? If off, i assume i cant use any automated programs to run the vacuum?

Here is a photo pool suction on right spa on left, vacuum in the center. Right now it appears skimmer/MDs are wide open as is the vacuum line, since off is pointed up. Since there is a door on the vacuum port in the pool whats it sucking in that line? Should off be pointed @ 4 oclock which should be 50/50?

If i want to turn off suction from the vacuum line i assume i turn the handle 180 degrees to the right so off points down to the vacuum line?

391F7DA2-CB25-4903-8A13-B6526A13AD57_zpso8jmjpht.jpg

It doesn't make much difference right now since the vacuum isn't in the pool. There should be a vac-lock fitting on the suction line in the pool that has the flow closed off (since no cleaner is attached).

The valve position is fine for now but when you do start to use the cleaner, you'll want to direct more of the flow from the vacuum to increase suction and speed. The current valve position is 50/50 right now as both lines are wide open

If you want to automate that function, you'd need another valve actuator and program a corresponding circuit for it.

Even better yet, a robot would be a great purchase over a suction cleaner of you haven't already bought one. A robot would likely pay for itself through electrical savings fairly quickly.

It doesn't make much difference right now since the vacuum isn't in the pool. There should be a vac-lock fitting on the suction line in the pool that has the flow closed off (since no cleaner is attached).

The valve position is fine for now but when you do start to use the cleaner, you'll want to direct more of the flow from the vacuum to increase suction and speed. The current valve position is 50/50 right now as both lines are wide open

If you want to automate that function, you'd need another valve actuator and program a corresponding circuit for it.

Even better yet, a robot would be a great purchase over a suction cleaner of you haven't already bought one. A robot would likely pay for itself through electrical savings fairly quickly.

They gave me a MX6 suction cleaner. Yes I have a capped port on the side wall of the pool. I did shut the vacuum suction line off, rotated the valve 180 degrees. I figured I would get more suction at the drains and skimmer now?

Questions:
1. Robot, that's one of those standalone electric units? I guess you put in in the pool once per week?
2. The wall fitting cap for the vacuum line does not screw in flush with the wall of the pool, looks like it's about 3/8" from flush. it's tight, don't want to turn it in more. The threads are a bit rough from the guy scraping pebble plaster out of it. Is the cap a taper thread? I was thinking I could cut 3/8" off to make it flush? They installed a white one which stands out a lot, I did order a Hayward light grey cap but it's not as dark as I though. Do they make a dark grey vacuum cap?

Thanks Brian!!

1.) Yes, standalone unit with its own power supply and filter. I use mine about every 2 weeks.

2.) There are dark grey vac locks. They are pipe thread so they are tapered. It's pretty common for them not to sit flush but it's usually because the wall/plaster isn't straight. You can try cutting the threads shorter but I doubt it's bottoming out in the fitting to begin with.

1.) Yes, standalone unit with its own power supply and filter. I use mine about every 2 weeks.

2.) There are dark grey vac locks. They are pipe thread so they are tapered. It's pretty common for them not to sit flush but it's usually because the wall/plaster isn't straight. You can try cutting the threads shorter but I doubt it's bottoming out in the fitting to begin with.

Thanks, I will try to locate a dark grey Vacuum Cap. Google is not helping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.