Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready to SLAM!

1. Back To Top    #1

Ready to SLAM!

Some of you may remember me on here and my 5 year battle with mustard algae. Well I am finally ready to eradicate it once and for all. Weather is cooling off here and it's on the weekend which will give me the break I need. Will post numbers tomorrow evening before I start. Just a few questions though before I begin. #1-since this stuff has been chlorine resistant from 12-18ppm at times, should I maintain a target higher then recommended once I am done with SLAM? #2-Should I be using the SWG to help maintain shock level once I get it there? I do need to sleep at some point lol. Any comments appreciated.

17,200 in ground pool, DE filter,3/4 hp pump, solar heater, SWG (Hayward Salt and Swim 3C). 1988 Hot Springs Highlife-K Hot Tub (415 gal.)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Ready to SLAM!

Hi there

Can you tell us how you are testing your water and post up a full set of results?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Using the Taylor K-2006. Will be posting numbers tomorrow eve before I start

17,200 in ground pool, DE filter,3/4 hp pump, solar heater, SWG (Hayward Salt and Swim 3C). 1988 Hot Springs Highlife-K Hot Tub (415 gal.)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

It would be great to get a baseline. Have you tested your CYA recently?

We're here to help which is why I asked. .
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Last time I checked it was 70 which was last week

6. Back To Top    #6

How much chlorine do you have on hand to get you started?
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

No problem using the SWC during the SLAM. It's your cheapest chlorine (because you already own it). It must be turned off at the end when you do the OCLT.

As far as I know, normal SLAM, and after you meet all three criteria, then 24 hours at mustard algae shock level, with extra attention to pool toys or anything that is in the pool.

Pool School - Defeating Algae
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Pool School - Mustard Algae

Be sure to get pH down to 7.2 before starting the SLAM.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a total of 14 gallons on bleach with half being 8% and the other half at 12.5%. Plan on buying 4 more this evening on way home from work.

9. Back To Top    #9

That will be a good start. Must make sure to change the % in pool math when you fill in the values to find out how much bleach to add each time.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Got it. Thank you

11. Back To Top    #11

Numbers before SLAM:

PH-7.7 (lowering to 7.2)

CYA-70

TA-100

FC-13

CC-0

Wish me luck! Will post on how things go then

12. Back To Top    #12

Also, not that it really matters but the bleach I have is 6gal@10% and 8gal@12.5%

13. Back To Top    #13

It will be good to know for the others that will follow your thread in the future and see how good you clear it!

OH and you NEED to take picture of your pool looking down at your steps each day and share then here. That will help you and us see the color changes so we can judge how things are going.

Leave your pump on 24/7 for the SLAM.

14. Back To Top    #14

Ready to SLAM!

Not sure how good pictures would work. Tried taking some before but they did not turn out very good. Could not really see anything. I do have steps but had to remove them to get at any algae underneath. And there was a good bit of it under there. Should have taken a pic of that cause it was pretty noticeable. Sorry ☹️, if anything appears tomorrow (since I just brushed it all away) I will post.

15. Back To Top    #15

Way to go on the stairs!

Kill that algae. Kill it real good. PoolMath for 28 ppm FC. Imagine a billion cells of slime getting knocked off by each jug.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

16. Back To Top    #16

Update:
    July 29th@8pm
    Got FC to 28ppm
    July 30th@1230am
    FC-26 (bumped back up to 28 using pool math)
    530am-FC -28 was a bit confused until......
    930am
    FC-19! (Bumped back up to 28 using pool math)
    So that tells me something is dying
    Will post more as day wears on. Supposed to be somewhat cloudy today so hopefully sun won't be much of a factor. Shallow end of pool looking much better then before but deep end I am still seeing the stuff around the seams. Also brushed pool good before bringing up from 19 to 28.

17. Back To Top    #17

I am glad you are seeing progress. That is what the pics are for. Many times someone will say "my pool is not clearing up" BUT if they take and share pics daily then they can see the progress.

You are on the right track! Keep up the great work!

18. Back To Top    #18

Hard to take pics today. Been raining off and on all day. Just checked FC@4:00pm and it was holding at 28 but algae was still visible in seams so I brushed again.

19. Back To Top    #19

The clouds are helping your FC stay in the pool to kill the algae. NICE! Keep brushing and maybe think about vacuuming the dead stuff up instead of brushing it. That might speed things up.

What kind of filter do you have? You have everything else in your siggy-THANKS!

20. Back To Top    #20

DE filter. Haven't really seen anything dead yet unless I am missing it. Only was brushing cause of the algae was reappearing in the seams. Not as bad but still there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast