Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover

I started putting a solar cover on at night, I wanted to know if it is ok to run the filter while the cover is on?

15,000 gal 16x32 above ground, aqua pro 2 hp cartridge filter, Hayward skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover

Yes! I started using a solar cover a few weeks ago. It has made such a difference to the warm of my pool, and I don't loose hardly any water overnight due to evaporation anymore. win, win!
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten

3. Back To Top    #3

I do it every night.
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok good to know, cause that's when I put the chlorine in and run it over night

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine rarely comes off the pool, unless we are using it. Depending on schedules and weather, it may stay on for 2 or 3 cycles of the pump. Never had a problem with it.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

6. Back To Top    #6

If it's warm and you leave it covered and not circulating during the day, be a little more alert for algae.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

I actually haven't been putting it on the last couple days it has been too hot outside to put it on the pool water is already warm is it is