I need help BIG TIME... FRUSTRATED

Thank you all so much for your help. I will be heading to Walmart first thing in the morning to get a test kit until mine arrives. I ordered the K-2006C and I am hoping it will be here by Friday. I am going to also call my water guy in the morning (as all of my water has to be brought in) and see when he can bring me a couple of loads of water so I can do the partial drain again. Since my last partial water change my water is much clearer. Both pool places told me today that it didn't matter what my CYA reading was. I got in a little argument with the lady at the pool store that we have been going to for years about it. I appreciate all of your help and input so much... I am really trying to have some POP!! Thanks again!!

I had that happen to me too. I used to go to a pool store where it seemed like ONE fellow there actually care and 'knew' what he was talking about - I used to go to him all the time, I'd actually seek him out if he wasn't behind the test counter. Then one day (after I'd found TFP-before I had my kit) I had him test my water and he didn't test CYA and I asked him why. He told me I "didn't need to worry about that, didn't matter." :roll: I stopped going to him. :wink:

Edit: Hah! It's been a long month, now I'm repeating myself....

Ok... I got my 6 way test kit from Walmart this morning. I have tested my water 3 times with the same results.

PH 7.2
CL 1
BR 2
CYA 35
ALK 120ppm
Hardness sample stayed purple

So now once again I am looking for your expert input. Should I add chemical ( I bought clorox, borax, baking soda and Mauriac acid)? How much should I add? Can I add them all at one time or is there a wait period in between? Or should I not do anything and do another partial water change... the only thing that bothers me about the water change is that it looks like my water man can't get me water until this weekend.

I just want to thank you all again! I appreciate your help so much! I swear I am going to get this all figured out and learn about all these chemical this summer so I never have to go through this again. I am going to take more time and learn more about this CYA... I am not real sure I completely understand that.

Thanks again!!

Jamie

I believe the CYA test is only accurate up to 100 on some of the test kits, so it's not surprising if you level doesn't go down much after your first attempt. As others have said, getting CYA back in range is critical, and not much use investing in chemicals right now if you are going to be replacing water.

Second step is understanding how your CYA got so high, and how to prevent it in the future.

And remember you're not alone. A LOT of us on this forum were in your same situation a short while ago, and are very greatful for the members here that volunteer their knowledge!

Oh believe me I am very GRATEFUL. Hubby read a little bit on this forum last night and banned me from the pool store.... ha ha he's already to late. He said that everyone on here seems so knowledgeable and helpful! Wonderful people!! I have been telling everyone about this site.

With your latest numbers, your CYA level seems suspiciously low if you haven't done any further water replacement.

Is that the max reading on that kit? You might want to try it again.

Again, you don't want to add chemicals right now if you have to do a partial drain and refill...

Jamier said:
Ok... I got my 6 way test kit from Walmart this morning. I have tested my water 3 times with the same results.

PH 7.2
CL 1
BR 2
CYA 35
ALK 120ppm
Hardness sample stayed purple

So now once again I am looking for your expert input. Should I add chemical ( I bought clorox, borax, baking soda and Mauriac acid)? How much should I add? Can I add them all at one time or is there a wait period in between? Or should I not do anything and do another partial water change... the only thing that bothers me about the water change is that it looks like my water man can't get me water until this weekend.

I just want to thank you all again! I appreciate your help so much! I swear I am going to get this all figured out and learn about all these chemical this summer so I never have to go through this again. I am going to take more time and learn more about this CYA... I am not real sure I completely understand that.

Thanks again!!

Jamie

Clorox. First, ignore the BR reference - the kit can be used for Bromine pools but you're using chlorine.
Go to the pool calculator and enter in your gallons, then enter in "1" in the "Now" column and "15" in the Target column for FC. Hit Calculate. It will tell you how much bleach to add.

Your PH is fine, TA is fine.

Hardness has me concerned, but it can wait till everything else is straightened out and you have your Taylor kit. I could never get the HTH hardness test to work for me either...

Have you seen this link:
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

Are you certain you did the CYA test correctly, and it was at room temperature?

I'm concerned there is testing error here, or it could be testing error by the pool store. Or you emptied more water than I realize. How much water would you estimate you replaced? How much did you lower it, and how many times?

I did not have the water at room temperature... I took it directly out of the pool. I will go take another sample right now and let it set for an hour before I test it? I drained about 12 inches out of my pool... I would say approx 4000 to 4200 gallons and I only did this once. My pool is right now as clear as can be. Should the water have been at room temperature for all the tests?? I am certain that I did the test correctly... according to the directions anyhow. The instructions say to record as ppm of cyanuric acid?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, if the water is really cold it could be affected. The other tests are not affected by the temp but for some reason CYA is.

But it sounds like you are doing it right. Hopefully when you get the TF test kit the other tests will be confirmed.

In the meantime, we'll just assume your CYA is 35 and you can shock your pool according to the CYA chart to 15, as instructed above. :goodjob:

My test kit finally arrived today. I am pretty sure that I did everything properly and wanted to post my results for input once again.

PH 7.2
ALK 120
CYA 45
FC .5
CC 2.5

now if I am correct I should raise my PH a little. ALK is ok. CYA is ok (I can't believe it). Now on the FC and CC is where I am confused. FC is to low and CC is to high??

What is my next step? Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks for your responses. I know this stuff is really easy for you guys but I am still having some trouble understanding. When I look at the pool calculator I see where I enter my reading of FC at .5 and it tells me to add 183 oz of clorox. I'm ok there.... I get that but is that all I do? I don't see any place to enter my CC? Also, it says to adjust the CYA ... I thought that was ok. I'm sorry I am not grasping this. At this time am I only adjusting the FC?

it doesn't sound like you're using it right. you need to shock it, not just add a little bit to get it up to maintenance levels. according to pool school pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock your shock level is about 18. so put .5 in the left hand and 18 on the right hand. that gives 726oz of 6% bleach. CC doesn't really have a place there. it has a target level of 50ppm for cya. you're ok at 45. if it bothers you, change the number on the right hand side to 45 and it will say you're fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.