Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how long?

1. Back To Top    #1

how long?

South Texas, 100dgs around the corner.
    how long do I need to run the pool? I don't know the pump capacity, just guessing a standard pump.
    20000gl in-ground. also does it matter to run at night and not in the heat of the day or No?
    Michael
    20000 gal
    in-ground plaster, replaced early 2015
    Cartridge filtration,
    single speed pump
    well water

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: how long?

Most people run their pump more than they need to. I would start with 4 hours and adjust up from there if you think you need it, depends on a lot of factors. Day or night does not matter unless you get a break on electrical rates at night or have wind that blows stuff in the pool at a certain time of the day. Take a look at the How to section of Pool School for more in depth info on determining pump run time.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just had the same question when I saw yours! My pool is about the same size as yours, also in ground. I run mine for 9 hours a day right now and I'm beginning to wonder if I couldn't cut that back some based on the 'how to' in pool school.
    22K gal, vinyl liner pool (rectangle 16x32), Hayward SwimPure 40k SWG/T-Cell-15, Polaris 280 pool cleaner. K-2006 test kit.
    In South Louisiana - pool gets full sun all day long, and stays open and maintained year round :)

4. Back To Top    #4

I adjusted ours last night down to about 6 hours. will see.
    thanks
    Michael
    20000 gal
    Cartridge filtration,
    single speed pump
    well water

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you know the flow rate, you can determine how long you should run it and adjust from there. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know our pump flow rate. will have to take a peek at the pump info plate.
    Michael
    20000 gal
    Cartridge filtration,
    single speed pump
    well water

7. Back To Top    #7

6 Hours is within the typical range many members here find as sufficient.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~