Got my kit...first readings

The pool currently runs from 7am to 8pm. I will crank it to 60 for a few days. We do have 3 waterfalls, so I will run those too. I ran them today to help circulate the chemicals. Do you think I should run them all the time that the pool is running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For now, yes. Test your PH at least once a day. When it gets to 7.8, knock it down to 7.2. Test your TA every couple of days until you get to about 60. Then you can see if your ph has stabilized, or at least is rising more slowly.

With CYA at 90 you need to maintain FC at 8-9 at all times starting now. Add bleach to get it there. You are at extreme risk of an algae outbreak with the low to no FC over the last few days. Also, the pool is unsanitary if the FC drops below 7, which means there is increased risk of person to person disease transmission, especially in kids. So, FC should never be below 7, ever. It is safe to swim with FC above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

I would raise FC to 9 right now. Once you get the PH to 7.6 or so I would immediately raise FC up to 18 ppm using bleach. And brush the pool daily. This is the only chance you have of swimming this weekend.

Do not run the waterfalls they will quickly increase your PH.

With CYA at 90 you need to maintain FC at 8-9 at all times starting now. Add bleach to get it there. You are at extreme risk of an algae outbreak with the low to no FC over the last few days. Also, the pool is unsanitary if the FC drops below 7, which means there is increased risk of person to person disease transmission, especially in kids. So, FC should never be below 7, ever. It is safe to swim with FC above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

I would raise FC to 9 right now. Once you get the PH to 7.6 or so I would immediately raise FC up to 18 ppm using bleach. And brush the pool daily. This is the only chance you have of swimming this weekend.

Do not run the waterfalls they will quickly increase your PH.
Hi, pooldv

OP has a SWG. Does this not suggest his minimum FC should be about 5% of CYA?

Arg! Please do not run the waterfalls. Let's not mess with TA or reraise your pH. Now that you are in range with pH, raise your FC to around 8-ish.

I asked a mod that lives in your area with a plaster surface to chime in. Hopefully he will be here soon!

Pooldv....you have my mind blown after going through what I have all day. So confused.

Sorry, if you want to have a party this weekend you need to get on board quick. Your pool is an algae soup waiting to happen. I cannot understand how PBs can send new owners out without a thorough understanding that chlorine needs to be maintained daily. We see so many people posting test results with 0 or 1 ppm of FC and I can't understand why.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, based on my stated test results, how much bleach should be added?

Have you learned to use PoolMath, link at top of page? Put your pool gallons at the top, enter the current FC in Now and 9 in Target, make sure it says 8.25% or whatever strength your are using and hit calculate. It will tell you how many ounces to add.

Ok, I read back and saw that PH was 7.5 at 9:00 pm. Good.

In the morning test PH again and drop it to 7.2. Test FC again and raise it to 18 ppm. And brush the pool. Go back up and read my post again. Be sure to enter all your test results into PoolMath, several things impact PH adjustments. Also go to the bottom and set TFP as goal levels, SWG as chlorine type and PLASTER as pool type.

Are you confident in your CH test? Read this to confirm, Pool School - Calcium Hardness

Time for lesson 2: CSI
Our water has a tendency to scale. You probably noticed in coffee pots, shower heads and elsewhere. Same in the pool. Here is how to control it and make sure it is not a problem. Enter all, emphasis ALL, your test results into PoolMath and it will give you a CSI score. Keep this number between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scale. Tweak PH, TA and CH if needed to adjust the number. Managing your CSI properly can add a decade to the life of the plaster and make the SWG cell last longer. Not managing it can cause you to have to replaster in a few years

Our CH in DFW is not high enough to justify a 1250 ppm test result. Mine has never been above 450 ppm. Something caused your plaster to release a bunch of calcium into the pool. Did the PB do an acid start up? We might have to drain some water in a week or two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.