Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is a permit usually required for the plastering/replacing tile and coping?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is a permit usually required for the plastering/replacing tile and coping?

I know it depends, but generally speaking, if you aren't making changes to the pool itself... other than refinishing... is a permit required?
    Rhonda, Outside of Boston, MA
    20k gallon IG gunite circa 1984, very old/stained/worn out plaster finish
    4820 Hayward DE filter, no idea on the pump... will figure that out!, T-100 test kit, Speed Stir is the BOMB!
    *Researching options to refinish Spring 2017!*

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is a permit usually required for the plastering/replacing tile and coping?

I don't see why.

3. Back To Top    #3

Here in Central Florida, our county (Seminole) requires a permit for refinishing/replastering a pool. It's a new requirement, just since January this year, so they can inspect to ensure that older pools are updated with anti-entrapment type covers on the main drain.
    Vintage pool, 1967. Inground, 23k gal, 38'x18', 3.5'-8' deep, no frills, screen-enclosed. Refurbished 2016: Pentair CC150 cartridge filter, WetEdge PearlMatrix Pebble; porcelain waterline tile; Hayward skimmer SP1070. Pentair/Sta-rite SuperMax VS 1.5 HP pump (6/2017). City water, no restrictions. TFPC, chlorine bleach, TF100, SpeedStir.

4. Back To Top    #4

You are going to find this varies a great deal all over the country. The more urban the state the greater the permit requirements. Even then some only require permits for property tax tracking.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, good to know. Will add it to my questions when I am calling for quotes. Thank you!
    Rhonda, Outside of Boston, MA
    20k gallon IG gunite circa 1984, very old/stained/worn out plaster finish
    4820 Hayward DE filter, no idea on the pump... will figure that out!, T-100 test kit, Speed Stir is the BOMB!
    *Researching options to refinish Spring 2017!*