Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First test run with new kit....please advise

1. Back To Top    #1

First test run with new kit....please advise

Ok I have a 14000 fiberglass pool that is extremely slippery. I think I have white mold as I have finally seen some wispy white like stuff floating. Not much...just a few.

So I finally got my test kit and ran it. Here are the numbers.

Note I have been adding bleach about 1/3 of a gallon bottle most nights figuring I had a problem and wanted extra chlorine. I am confident I will be recommended to SLAM the pool...which is fine but I just need help in determining what to do first before I SLAM.

TC >5 dark gold color
    ph 7.8
    FC 14
    cc 0.5
    cya 60
    ch 175
    ta 100

ok hit me up with all your wisdom and expertise please!!!!! Eager learner here!!!

thanks in advance for all help
    15000 fiberglass Viking free form pool, swg, Hayward variable speed pump cartridge filter
    TF 100 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test run with new kit....please advise

Your CYA is a little high but is manageable for a non-SWG pool. You could lower your CYA by replacing some water but in the Texas heat, CYA of 60 might be fine. I would probably leave it, it will require more bleach though.

What test kit do you have?

Have you read the SLAM instructions?
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok I am a swg pool. So will that change your advice??

15000 fiberglass Viking free form pool, swg, Hayward variable speed pump cartridge filter
    TF 100 kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ahh, I sorry if I missed that in your sig, I see it now. 60 if fine for SWG, actually at the bottom of the recommended level for SWG.

Do a Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) . If you fail, then you need to SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure that your SWG is off when doing the OCLT and most recommend turning it off during the SLAM to reduce the # of variables you are dealing with.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok. Will do it tonight. Like I said I am pretty confident I have some biological in my pool since its soooo slippery.

And has has been since day 1. I think the slip into the pool count is up to 8. Lol

trying to keep my humor.

thanks again for any advice. If you think I should increase my cya.....just make the comment..lol

- - - Updated - - -

And I am using a Tf 100 kit
    TF 100 kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't raise the CYA now. If your pool is that slippery and you are seeing gunk, dollars to donuts you will be doing a slam, and the lower CYA will help.

Why don't you famiarize yourself with PoolMath in the meantime:
    Pool School - PoolMath

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you brushing your pool? That's important to keep any algae and biofilm disrupted and into circulation.

If you've done an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and failed....

Just bring your pH down to 7.2 with MA (which will also bring your TA down a bit, not a bad thing). Then I would proceed with a SLAM: SLAM
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Plan is to recheck tests today. Re do pool math and start a SLAM plus brush more often. Will not add anymore stabilizer will lower pH once it has been double checked.( brand new Tf 100 kit.....just to be sure....ICU nurse who is a bit type A at times...lol). And to do the overnight chlorine test. Whew. I am going to be busy.

Any other suggestions......
    TF 100 kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

I also had a few slips down the stairs in to my fiberglass pool when it was new that I should have been issued a "Fall Risk" bracelet!

It took me a few falls to realize that the stairs aren't that wide and the anti-slip surface is only on the flat stair and not the rounded stair edge at the front of the step that I tended to hit. I make sure to hold the hand rail when going in now.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok SLAM started. First numbers are this morning

FC 38.5
    CC 0.5
    TC 39.

Will check later today after camp

fingers crossed
    TF 100 kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Shock level for CYA at 60 is 24 ppm. FC/CYA Chart. Adding more is wasteful because FC decays on a percentage basis, not 1 ppm at a time.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

We used pool math for chlorine for shock level. I guess we achieved it and then some. Won't be adding any for now.

TF 100 kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Don't forget to Brush! Brush! Brush!

14. Back To Top    #14

Hubby has to. Raging tendinitis in my right elbow. I can't. Will do after he gets home from work

recheck on

FC 30.5
    cc0.5

will not be adding anything
    TF 100 kit.

15. Back To Top    #15

Ouch... can you take motrin? Take it with food. That helps a lot. Hope it feels better soon.

Let us know how it tests tomorrow

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Ouch... can you take motrin? Take it with food. That helps a lot. Hope it feels better soon.

Let us know how it tests tomorrow
    Fc was 26 cc was 0.5 this early am.

Taking Alieve twice a day and trying hard not to use it. But is my right arm and I am right handed.

TF 100 kit.

17. Back To Top    #17

When will the slippery feeling go away with this fiberglass pool??? Day 3 of slam. Numbers look good. Need to do the overnight test

FC 26.6
    Cc 0
    cya 60

brushing daily and vacuuming

pool is still crystal clear...

any my other suggestions???

and when is it safe to go into pool??? What level??? Kids are itching to go back in!!!!!! Lol. After all it's summer in Houston

thanks in advance for any advice suggestions etc
    TF 100 kit.

18. Back To Top    #18

You are good to swim when:
    You can clearly see a swimmer in trouble, (you're good)
    your pH is between 7.2-7.8, and
    your FC is above minimum and below shock level (24 for you): see here: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

19. Back To Top    #19

Have you checked behind your lights, under any ladders, in the skimmer, etc. for any hidden algae?

20. Back To Top    #20

We have never had algae. It's a brand new fiberglass pool that has been crystal clear since day one. The pool has been slippery since day one and I can't figure out why. We are brushing and did a SLAM hoping it may be a white mold.
    I did see just last week a few white wispy paperlike things floating around

skimmer is clear. Pool is crystal clear ..brushing daily during slam....no ladders...hubby doesn't want to mess with lights....but again we have never had any algae..

i am really getting frustrated....not from anyone here but that I can't figure out how to fix it.

and I have reached out to Viking pools and silence so far.

i just want a safe fun pool. Not asking for much....

any other ideas ...suggestions....
    TF 100 kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast