Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to maintain chlorine on vacation?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to maintain chlorine on vacation?

Do you all use chlorine tabs when away from home for a few days or week? If so, are there any guidelines on how many to add? I have been using the TFP ways for about two weeks now and it's going great!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to maintain chlorine on vacation?

Do you currently chlorinated with bleach? Raise your FC to shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart, and put some pucks in a floater. At the bottom of Pool math is a tool called Effects of Adding Chemicals you can enter the amount and select trichlor and it will tell you how much FC and CYA each puck will add. Be sure to enter pool gallons at the top.

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here on what to add and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I will definitely update my signature this weekend!

Yes, currently I am using bleach to maintain FC (but I have left over chlorine tabs from before I switched to TFP).

So, you basically SLAM your pool while on vacation? Assuming the length of vacation is reasonable.

4. Back To Top    #4

It will certainly help clean up any minor issues you might have.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok thanks. I just finished SLAMing 3 days ago (I started TFP because I had a minor algae problem I couldn't get rid of (SLAMing did the trick tho!). I guess it makes sense to raise FC while gone tho.

6. Back To Top    #6

The last time I left the house for a week I just added three pucks to the chlorinator (my demand averages about 2 ppm / day). It helps to do a "dry run" for a week to find the optimal setting. The pump has to be running for an adequate amount of time to erode the pucks enough to satisfy the chlorine demand for the day.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006