New, But crash course for past 30 days

Hi! I apologize for short intros but I have to get right to the point...almost everything that could go wrong has gone wrong since my son & his friend yanked cover off our pool too fast and all the leaves/ debris landed in my pretty & sparkling clear pool....We have a Hayward Perflex EC 65 de filter...18×32 inground and have gone through several issues but now since ph down & rinsing the fingers has not cleaned the fingers enough it has been recommended we give it the dreaded muriatic bath....MY Question (finally ) can I drain the water in the filter-then close the valve and just add the water & acid directly into that container? I read in your notes to use a huge trash can...I don't have one to spare & have been tapped on spare extra 10$ bills for things....I do have a clean 5 gallon bucket....should I use that? I did buy gloves & safety goggles...I was also told to let it soak 24 hours- this was also different from your recommendation. ..does it matter how long ....can it hurt the lining of the fingers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ...I am just gonna throw it all together and hope for the best in a second while we have some overcast before we start getting algea again....the pool is clear btw.....now we just can't get the psi to stay below 20