Just Bought A House With A Pool...Where to Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Set your targets according to the ABC's levels.. check the link in my sig

FC - Free Chlorine - A sanitizer which keeps your pool water safe and free of germs. Chlorine must be constantly replenished. (level depends on CYA)
PH - Acidity/Alkalinity
- Needs to be kept in balance to prevent irritation and protect the pool equipment. (7.5 to 7.8)
TA - Total Alkalinity - Appropriate levels help keep the PH in balance. High levels can cause PH to rise. (60 to 120, sometimes higher)
CH - Calcium Hardness - Appropriate levels help prevent plaster damage. High levels can cause calcium scaling. (220 to 350, vinyl lower)
CYA - Cyanuric Acid - Protects chlorine from sunlight and determines the required FC level. (outdoors 30 to 50, SWG 70 to 80, indoors 0 to 20)

Quick favor.. can you put your pool info in your sig block for quick reference? A lot of us bounce back and forth between posts and get confused on what we are dealing with... Handy reference will help us figure out what we are dealing with... THANKS!!!

If you can spend some time reading and re-reading the SLAM process while at work, that will help you out. But the gist is, test your FC level and dose it up to shock level based on your CYA. Repeat as many times per day as is feasible for you. So check your CYA level first thing (so you know what your shock level will be). Then check your FC and pH. As long as pH is 7.2 still, you are ready to start the SLAM. You may need to drain and refill before SLAMming if your CYA is way high but get some numbers first and we'll sort you out after that.

That looks like a fun challenge! I've been waiting on one of my neighbors pools to turn into a green monster so I can help someone do a SLAM!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.