Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Travertine coping.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with Travertine coping.

We are having a pool built and are concerned with the grout they used on the coping. We have no experience with travertine but it sure seems like they should have used a grout that was a similar color. It looks dirty and has dark grout in all the pores. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm debating having them tear it out and need help. Thanks

14K IG, Pebble sheen, 2hp, Pentair quad DE 100, 1/2hp booster with pentair racer. Test kit K-2006C. New pool filled 7/15/16

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with Travertine coping.

I'm no expert, but my guess is that the builder uses (or suggests) a darker color to avoid looking dirty when certain areas of the grout inevitably become dirty. Since the dirt may not be consistent across the patio grout, choosing a uniformly dark color could mitigate this issue. Just my 2 cents.
    14x28 IG Rounded Rectangle, 6" aqua tile, White plaster, Gray Acrylic deck, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair TR100 C Commercial Sand Filter, Stenner Econ T (NaCIO), Zodiac Baracuda Cleaner (coming soon), 4' Baja Step (18"), aerator jets, 3-step InterFab SS Ladder

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. Using a darker color to avoid it looking dirty makes sense. I just haven't seen any pictures of travertine with dark grout. I was kind of shocked when i came home and seen the pores full of dark grout. Is using a dark color common?

14K IG, Pebble sheen, 2hp, Pentair quad DE 100, 1/2hp booster with pentair racer. Test kit K-2006C. New pool filled 7/15/16

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure what is the norm, but if you hate the look, you may be wise to change the color.

Is the grout still wet? Perhaps it will lighten after drying fully.
    14x28 IG Rounded Rectangle, 6" aqua tile, White plaster, Gray Acrylic deck, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair TR100 C Commercial Sand Filter, Stenner Econ T (NaCIO), Zodiac Baracuda Cleaner (coming soon), 4' Baja Step (18"), aerator jets, 3-step InterFab SS Ladder

5. Back To Top    #5

It's dry or cured. In 2 of the pictures it's wet from washing it with the hose. The picture of the column with the crooked tiles is dry. It's lighter when dry, kinda grayish.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think it looks like an error. Also in that first picture all your masonry cuts and lines are not lined up correctly at all. I think I'd have them re-do that as well. You are paying a lot of money for a project to be constructed correctly and that's how it should be done.
    Brian (Frisco, TX)
    2016 18,250 Gallon IG, Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair Master Temp 400k, , EastyTouch 8/ScreenLogic Surface: Pebblesheen Blue Surf with Abalone, Travertine Coping and Pavers. 3 LED in Pool 1 in Spa. New Frisco, TX Pool Build

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm meeting the pool builder this afternoon. Has anyone ever seen travertine grouted with dark grout?

8. Back To Top    #8

That's a sloppy job all around, joints, cuts, grout. No professional can claim that looks good. I'll be an expensive re-do. Expect some push-back from them . . .

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    That's a sloppy job all around, joints, cuts, grout. No professional can claim that looks good. I'll be an expensive re-do. Expect some push-back from them . . .

You're right and I'd strongly encourage op to discuss with their PB.
    Brian (Frisco, TX)
    2016 18,250 Gallon IG, Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Pentair Master Temp 400k, , EastyTouch 8/ScreenLogic Surface: Pebblesheen Blue Surf with Abalone, Travertine Coping and Pavers. 3 LED in Pool 1 in Spa. New Frisco, TX Pool Build

10. Back To Top    #10

Meet with the pool builder today. He is going to redo the tops of the 2 colums. He agreed the grey grout highlights the poor workmanship. He said they can grind out the grout and put in a grout that will match the tiles. They will grout the pores with the new grout and it should hide most of the gray.

Any opinions, have them grind it out or leave it alone?

11. Back To Top    #11

I would have them grind it out. Are you picking the grout color this time?
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes we will be picking the color. A bit worried that it could end up looking worse. Also there is no way they can get it out of all the pores. They can fill the pores with the new grout but still going to see some dark spots.

13. Back To Top    #13

I would have them regrout the whole thing, not just the tops of the columns. That will definitely look odd (imho) if they are one color and the coping is another color of grout.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

14. Back To Top    #14

They are going to tear the tops of the colums completely off and redo. Because the pieces are so crooked. Grind out every mortar joint on the pool so they will all be the same.

Sorry maybe what I wrote was confusing.

15. Back To Top    #15

Sounds great!
    Marla

16. Back To Top    #16

that's great!! Glad you got them to fix it.
    Brian (Frisco, TX)

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm glad you're going to be able to get that fixed. If it was me, I'd definitely want a more complimentary color grout.
    Construction began 5/2016. IGF pool. 41' x 21'. Jandy DEV60, Jandy 2hp 2sp pump, Polaris 280 Black Max, Rainbow 320 chlorinator, Jandy JXI 400, Jandy iAqualink, Jandy LED's. 2'x2'x10' rock weeping wall. Dive rock. Tile/Plaster: NPT Silverstone AquaMarine Decking: Stained Stamped Concrete/Stonescapes Aqua Blue with glass beads and abalone. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Fort-Worth-TX

18. Back To Top    #18

That looks like junk-ola in my opinion. Especially the uneven width of the joints...and what is with the odd ball double angle cut?
    even if they grind out the joints, it will still be in the pores and will look odd. I say you have to live with it now. I'd want to know what kind of grout it is. Is it epoxy?? That is really the most important issue now (in my opinion).

check Lacticrete Epoxy Grouts - LATICRETE
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
    That looks like junk-ola in my opinion. Especially the uneven width of the joints...and what is with the odd ball double angle cut?
    even if they grind out the joints, it will still be in the pores and will look odd. I say you have to live with it now. I'd want to know what kind of grout it is. Is it epoxy?? That is really the most important issue now (in my opinion).

check Lacticrete Epoxy Grouts - LATICRETE
    I think your right Frank, I'm gonna have to live with the grout color. I think it will look worse trying to change it now. My wife and I walked the perimeter and blue taped the real bad joints. Going to have those tiles removed and reinstalled straight this time. Also both colums getting total demo and redone.

Sanded grout

20. Back To Top    #20

Hi there
    im getting travertine coping on my pool as well. My PB used light grout between the tiles, which are similar in color to yours. It looks much better and the joints don't stand out as much.
    Also, on the raised beam, they used bigger tiles, so there isn't a separate piece behind each tile. I wonder why ur PB didn't do that. Try asking him and see if he can.
    Thanks.

G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast