electric heat pump for 75,000 gallons ?

Doesn't look at all big enough to be 75,000 gallons.

There was a guy who posted his recent home purchase some time last year and his pool looked
like a resort, but it was 65,000 gallons. and his equipment pad was massive.

I'm guessing yours is between 30,000 to 40,000 at most.

I would follow Needsajet's advice in trying to figure out how large your pool is. Test the water after the sun goes down, then add liquid bleach and then test again. I personally recommend to people to test at the 1 hour, 2 hour and 3 hour mark just to make sure. Without the sun, the FC loss will be minimal. Pool Math will make your life easier. Make sure the filter is running and mixing the water.

I have assisted 2 friends in figuring out what the pool size was. One pool was 7,000 gallons less (23K instead of 30K) and the other pool was 24K, instead of 32K, which is what they originally thought. Most pools are smaller. I also assuming your pool slopes from the shallow end to the deep end and most liner pools from the walls slope inward, which creates less volume.

Marty,

Are you sure of the 30' X 60' dimensions? Looking at the picture in your post #13 and figuring that hammock frame to be about 9, maybe 10', long, it looks like your pool might be closer to 20' X 40'. That would still be a big residential pool, but 30' X 60' is huge.

Not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

Cheers!!!

When all the pumps and filter was install I had him install a by pass valve for heater. Right now pool is on but no water is going in heater. I put in a 2 nd valve hooked to my underground water hose. After I use the heater I open the valve and turn on the house water and flush out the heater and that water goes into the pool. I hope that will give me a few more years. Is my pool guy using acid. He did when we first had pool open. 10 gallons and then 5 more. I ask him if he is using anymore acid. No. That acid never went into the heater. My wife and I use a tape measure. It 30x60 with 2 French ends. The 60 is with the French ends. They do curve. But then the pool has a sitting spa. 8 X 3.6. That's only 2 ft deep. I didn't add that. Pool is 4 ft deep 30 ft. 9.4 deep 30 ft. You can take away where the steps are that 2 ft then 1 ft X 30.

The hammock I just when out and use a tape. 17.10 ft. The sides go straight down. The drop off goes from 4 ft. Take one step and it's over my head but it does go down on a fast drop.

- - - Updated - - -

If you e mail me I will send you good pictures with the tape size. I need to know how much water is in here. [email protected]. Thanks guys.

When all the pumps and filter was install I had him install a by pass valve for heater. Right now pool is on but no water is going in heater. I put in a 2 nd valve hooked to my underground water hose. After I use the heater I open the valve and turn on the house water and flush out the heater and that water goes into the pool. I hope that will give me a few more years. Is my pool guy using acid. He did when we first had pool open. 10 gallons and then 5 more. I ask him if he is using anymore acid. No. That acid never went into the heater. My wife and I use a tape measure. It 30x60 with 2 French ends. The 60 is with the French ends. They do curve. But then the pool has a sitting spa. 8 X 3.6. That's only 2 ft deep. I didn't add that. Pool is 4 ft deep 30 ft. 9.4 deep 30 ft. You can take away where the steps are that 2 ft then 1 ft X 30.

When he mentioned acidic water and heater damage he wasn't specifically referring to muriatic acid the pool guy was likely adding. That is used to lower Ph and Total Alkalinity. He was referring to the chlorine pucks for your chlorine because those are also acidic. Both of them reduce Ph, but pucks tend to do so over time and it's the low Ph that damages the heater, not the acid directly, so your Ph would need to be monitored closely to be sure it doesn't fall too low.

For size, follow Needsajet's post on using chlorine to calculate it. If you have bleach on hand it's dark out right now and we'd all hear the results soon :)

Me tooooo. I called the guy who built this pool today. He is open tomorrow. I will find out. If my pool guy is putting 20 taps in once a week. How much money is that if I had to buy it. I'm thinking just pay the $70 bucks a week. If I did it and had problems I would go nuts. I may buy a vaccum. We do get sand in the pool from the bricks.

Yeh, your pool guy nuked it. And capably to quickly achieve what you wanted. He took pH to around 5.0(ish), wiping out the TA, blasted it with chlorine, took it down again after the chlorine went in, then after a day or two, I suspect he put the TA back in with a big sack of baking soda. Just not something TFPers do because of the fallout damage to the bits and pieces attached to the pool, like equipment. It doesn't kill anything on the day, but takes off lifespan. Very glad to hear the heater was kept out of the loop :) Fascinating to learn about. Thanks!!

Yeh sorry, the acidity I was talking about is from the pucks, and 21 of them, releasing 3 pucks worth per day, will affect the pool's pH by about 0.1 unit per day (I'm still using 80,000 gallons but have the same doubts). The pool pH may or may not move because of it, depending on a bunch of other factors, but the effect is there, and all good so far. Trouble is the pH of the water in your suction line and its effect on your equipment. You could find that out by shutting down after the 21 new pucks go in (those are 8 oz right?, I think you said large pucks?), then removing the clear lid on the pump above the pump strainer basket, and taking a pool water sample, then checking pH

I think it's important for you to know about, especially given the planned use of the heater.

Many people here would be watching this thread and think... just tell him to get the freakin pucks outta those skimmers.

The hammock I just when out and use a tape. 17.10 ft.

Wow! Almost 18'--that's something!!! You've got everything big w/ that pool, except the heater. I've got a Pawley's Island rope hammock w/ a stand like that and it's only about 10' long. That's what I was using to estimate the size of yours.

Good luck figuring out the # of gallons in that beauty. I'm guessing 80,000 plus or minus 5000.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What should he use? If he can't use pucks? When I had my round pool 30 round I use them. I was able to buy all my pool stuff on line. Lots of pool guys wouldn't let me.the price was 1/2. When he first got my pool going he came with his Haywood pump and pump all that stuff on the bottom out. The trees that was growing on steps, he put Wadders on and got the big stuff out. Even if I had to replace every thing again, I would be at the price he wanted if he got it. He charge me $400 to open and clean pool. I used my electric guy to hook up heater $200. Then $200 to hook up all the cut pipes and $75 more for that valve to close heater. The pentair 140 was $3200 shipped the pump was $700 the filter was about $500 or $600. We just got a rebate for $150 from pentair. $400 from PGE. I may be off on prices a little. Total was about $5500 less all the rebates. The only problem is if something goes wrong, I have to call the company. As long as a lic pool guy installed it, the warranty is good. I have a pool tester the PH is spot on. pool guy comes once a week to vacuum but had a guy come on Monday and fri just to adjust the water.

We all went in for a swim at 10 pm. The water temp is 84 deg with out heater. Big big difference from my other pool. Inground pools hold the heat. If I know this I would not of got a heater. We will open in June and close in sept. The only time I may use it is in june to get the temp up. I started this post to find out what will happen in late sept or oct. like my wife said, do you really want to keep it open with the leaves coming down.

I've been thinking about your questions a bit, and if it was me, and I wanted to stay with pucks, I'd get a price benchmark online, check the big box stores, and also call 5 pool stores and ask the price for 150 lbs of trichlor pucks (90 days worth).

At the very least, I'd add a puck chlorinator plumbed in downstream of all the equipment at the equipment pad.

If wanting to do TFPC, I'd add the biggest reliable saltwater chlorinator (Circupool RJ60) and also a stenner pump for acid dosing.

Either way, I'd keep money aside for a robot to do the brushing.

I'd love to have that pool!!

I e mail pentair a few days ago and ask them about my 140 heater. This is what he said @@ Marty,

The heat pump can maintain 86 degrees in a 60,000 gallon pool - Take care and have a good summer enjoy the new heater,

- - - Updated - - -

The pool service came today to vacuum and test water. The middle skimmer has 9 big tabs. The end skimmer has 9 big tabs The other skimmer has 0. That's about 18 to 21 a week. Today the pool temp was 88 with not heater. The pool gets sun all day.

That's funny :)
...can maintain 86 (they just left a bit out... "in summer"... or... "if you live in the Florida Keys, keep it covered, and there's no wind")

But at least they were somewhat honest by saying "maintain"

If you continue with pucks, it's a good idea to get a test kit that includes a drop-based free chlorine (FC) test and a cyanuric acid (CYA, stabilizer) test. With those tests, you can do your own tests to ensure that your pool remains safe with respect to person-to-person disease transmission. Pucks will cause CYA to rise as the weeks go by, and maintaining FC levels commensurate with CYA levels will ensure that there is adequate active chlorine to kill pathogenic organisms. The levels needed are found at this link: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I know I should be testing the pool my self. I been so busy with this house. After being on the phone all day, I thought I found the guy who built this pool. When he came yesterday he was the guy who installed all the pool bricks. He saw the pool being built in 07. He said that the pool walls are cement with vinyl over. I'm still trying to find him. I was told the builder was from Brooklyn.

If anyone lives near me east Quogue and wants to come over ?? There is still lots of questions with this pool. I have 3 pipes that are not conected. One was for the water slide. One is for the bottom two drains ( not connected ) then there is a pipe coming out of the ground next to the heater. I'm thinking its a return. But where would that go? All the returns are working even the two for the sitting spa. The pool service guy is not helping me because I got all the pool stuff and I saved $$$$$. I never wanted a pool. I don't want to service a pool!! I'm a boater, fishermen, scuba diver. Like I said , this was a bank sale house and it had a pool so now I'm stuck with this hole in the water. I have a hole in the water already. My boat !!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.