Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poured concrete pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Poured concrete pool

I recently had a poured concrete 36 x 22 pool installed. I don't read about any other poured concrete pools. It seems like all the residential pools are Gunite. Anyone know why?
    Viking Pool - Ceramic Fiberglass - Key West Sapphire Blue - 9,000 gallons
    Aqua Rite Goldline SWG
    Sta-Rite PXC150 Cartridge Filter
    Sta-Rite MPRA6F-148L 1.5 hp Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Poured concrete pool

Because so many pools are freeform, building traditional forms for a concrete pool is impossible in many, many cases.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Free form shapes are extremely popular these days and are very easy to do with gunite. Builders like to stick with what they know, so they use gunite for everything, even if forms would work on a particular pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

Gunite, shotcrete, formed pour concrete, just different ways to do the same thing - you end up with a concrete pool and need to follow the recommended chemical levels for 'crete' pools (as opposed to fiberglass or liner pools). There are subtle differences between the three in terms of concrete strength, but it's basically negligible (read: "marketing hype") 8)

Dave and Jason gave you the reason mot crete pools are 'shot' The only other advantage in shooting a pool is that you get a monolithic pour - but I've never seen a poured pool leak or break at the cold joint between the floor and the walls

BTW, you aren't the only one with a poured pool, the first pool company I worked for poured all their pools, supposedly they were strong enough to be the foundation for a 10 story building
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

We just started our poured concrete pool.

It would be nice to see pictures of your construction and completed pool?

25x25x16 L shaped concrete, 4' to 6', 21,000 gal, PLP4 - Pro Logic System Control & Aqua Logic Salt Chlorine Cell, Hayward TriStar 1 HP, 24" Sand Filter, SunHeater Solar Heating System, ColorLogic Light, Jandy deck jets.

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Poured concrete pool ... _94788870/

Just a few pictures of our build.

Viking Pool - Ceramic Fiberglass - Key West Sapphire Blue - 9,000 gallons
    Aqua Rite Goldline SWG
    Sta-Rite PXC150 Cartridge Filter
    Sta-Rite MPRA6F-148L 1.5 hp Pump