TF100 Newbie and Test Results

I think we all have friends/family that are pool stored $$$$. Sounds like you and your pool are on cruise control... you are doing great! It is easy to become a pool snob after learning how to keep the water clean. I don't swim in public pools or hot tubs. My friends think I'm crazy.

Reading on this site, it sure does sound like we all have friends/family that are like that. So far so good on my pool, hopefully it will stay that way. One thing I love is that when we get out of our pool we don't smell like chlorine and our skin isn't dry and itchy. When I was testing my water the other day I stuck my nose right up to the water and there was no chlorine smell at all.....just what I want. Unlike my co-worker who can smell his as soon as he walks outside...Haha!!

I do have one issue that I'd like some advice on. We had to cut down about 2.5' to level our pool site. It goes from about 3" of cut on one side of the pool to 2.5' of cut halfway around the pool. Any idea what I should do to keep the water out from around the pool? It's really muddy between the pool and where we have that deep cut.

So as long as my numbers stay where they are, then there is no reason to raise the FC to shock levels correct? Just curious because another co-worker of mine said you need to shock the pool every week or so. I said I shock the pool daily when I take off my shirt to get in....LOL

If you follow the methods used here, you will never need to "shock" the pool. Shock is a product and slam is the process. As long as you don't allow fc to get below the minimum for your cya you won't ever need to slam the pool.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you follow the methods used here, you will never need to "shock" the pool. Shock is a product and slam is the process. As long as you don't allow fc to get below the minimum for your cya you won't ever need to slam the pool.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's what I thought, just wanted to double check!!! :cool:

And yea, your last numbers looked good and balanced.

Thank You!!! :cheers:

I'll tell you one thing that I'm not used to and that's not smelling like I've been in a pool once I get out. It's amazing how it's just a clean smell versus having that chlorine smell I get from most pools I've been in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ha ha... a lot of folks consider that evening swim their shower for the night...no chlorine smell!

Baaahahaha!!!!

Before we got our pool my wife and kids would go swim at our friends house (the local pool store owners). I asked her if they smelled like chlorine or just felt gross when you got done swimming at their pool. Her answer was, no chlorine smell, just felt like I needed a shower as soon as we got home and that the girls would complain about their hair being yucky. She also said that she doesn't feel that way after being in our pool, doesn't feel like she needs a shower and the girls haven't said one thing about their hair.

So another thumbs up for the TFP way!!! :rockon:

My FC was down to 5 this morning, I didn't check it last night but I did only add 18 oz of bleach (which I've been doing daily to keep my FC at 7). I'm guessing that maybe my FC was down around 4-5 last night before adding the bleach and with my usual 1 ppm lose overnight I was probably only at 6 ppm after adding the bleach last night. I added enough this morning to get it back to 7. I'll make sure and check it tonight to make sure I don't have something going on.

How often are you testing usually? If only once, it might be better to do it in the evening for a while anyway until you know your pool a bit better. After that you can test when it's most convenient.

Normally I test in the evening and try to also test on mornings when I can. This week has been hit or miss on morning testing.

Also, with a CYA of 40, your "scary" minimum is 3, so you should be just fine.

You are correct, just like having a buffer.

Looks like we are in for another strong storm in a few hours. All the mud in the yard and around the pool is never going to completely dry at this rate.

I do have a tree that has flowers on it (not sure what it is) that keeps dropping little white things all over my pool water. I have to leave the pump on and still use the net to get it all up and even then you turn around and there is more. It looks like little snow flurries when you are laying on a raft looking up. Not a bunch of it but just enough to cause more work.

That's one of the reason many of us use a "buffer", so when life happens, we're okay. I'm glad Yippee recommended that to you!

Yes that was a good call on his part!!! I'm glad too but the bad thing (not really) is I'm becoming obsessed with staying near that 7 ppm buffer I have...LOL

Severe storm just went through, ran home at lunch to check on pool and our neighborhood looked like a bomb went off. Tree limbs and branches all over the place, skimmer was full of twigs and leaves. some foot long sticks were in front of the skimmer that I threw out. Cleaned skimmer but still need to clean the bottom of the pool but that'll have to wait due to it still lightning nearby.

Yeah, we had those type storms yesterday. The backyard looks like a war zone but Skippy and I hopped in the pool (still 86 degrees after all that rain?!) and cleaned it out. If I don't go out and clear off the deck it will all just blow in to the pool again anyway...... (should get OFF this darn laptop!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.