two questions: that dry stabilizer AND suggested levels vs the T100 kit

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
I'm confused. The levels in the T100 test kit don't match what it says here under pool chemistry.

Second, I bought some of that concentrated dry stabilizer for chlorinated Pools from Leslie's.

My CYA is a little low - 55 and it should be 70-80 according to this site's guidelines for SWG pools.

The pool calculator says add 5lbs 11oz by weight or 3 quarts by volume....I don't know the difference.

So the directions say to mix it with warm water. We tried that once. Once. never again.

So how much do you put in the sock and what kind of sock?

Your CYA is 60 (there is no half way between readings) already.

Which levels in the TF-100 are you speaking of that are contradictory?

You can weigh the CYA out on a scale (by weight) or measure it out using measuring cups (by volume). I use a little diet scale myself to weigh out chemicals, more accurate just like in baking ;)

You grab an old sport sock, no holes please, stuff it and tie it off. Then hang it in front of your return to dissolve. You can squeeze it now and then to speed it up.

I'm confused. The levels in the T100 test kit don't match what it says here under pool chemistry.

Second, I bought some of that concentrated dry stabilizer for chlorinated Pools from Leslie's.

My CYA is a little low - 55 and it should be 70-80 according to this site's guidelines for SWG pools.

The pool calculator says add 5lbs 11oz by weight or 3 quarts by volume....I don't know the difference.

So the directions say to mix it with warm water. We tried that once. Once. never again.

So how much do you put in the sock and what kind of sock?

Do you have a way to measure the granular stabilizer? I use an old kitchen food scale. The amount of CYA by weight is EXACT and you should use that if you can. The volume estimate is just that, an estimate, because every manufacturers powder density will be different.

I like to use an old nylon rather than a sock because a nylon is thinner and allows for faster dissolution. I try to stuff as much as I can into one nylon and hang that in front of a fast moving return in the deep end. Put the sock in the water in front of a return and position it as far away form the wall as you can so that the sock is not near your plaster (concentrated CYA is acidic and can etch/discolor plaster). I use a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe with some rocks to secure it in place. It looks like this in the water -

391CF55B-C395-4790-8D7D-18C6C451ACE5_zpskkid7e0k.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

FYI - Chemistry levels were changed recently (slightly). So the printed card stock in your TF-100 kit may not match what's on the site. Please always refer to the TFP website for the latest info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.