Hayward suction cleaner problem/questions

Jun 6, 2010
Central Indiana
Just purchased a Hayward aquacritter and having some trouble. After a few minutes the pump starts having a low water level like enough water is not coming through. It's a Hayward 1 hp pump so I think it should be plenty strong. Any thoughts on what's going on?

Question 2) the instructions say to shove the Hayward hose with the cone adaptor straight down into the skimmer hole without using the basket. Why would they want you to not use the basket?

Question 3) can I use my regular pool hose and vacuum plate adaptor instead of the hose that came with T the cleaner?

I have no experience with this particular cleaner, but re: question 1, be sure the hose is filled with water before connecting by either holding it against a return jet or pushing it progressively down into the water, working your way from the cleaner end to the free end, then connect. There's always a little bit of air right near the end, but the pump can handle a small amount no problem.

You could be sucking air into the critter hose from a poor connection or if the critter is plugged with something.

I looked up your manual and could hardly believe that! I don't like the idea of sending leaves down my intake pipe, though at least the pump basket would catch them before the pump. Anyway, I would only do that if there's an accessory leaf strainer on the vacuum hose. If it were me, I'd for sure use my skimmer vacuum plate so the leaves end up in the skimmer basket.

You probably need the critter's leader hose on the cleaner, so I doubt that using your regular hose will work out. I'd try to adapt the critter's hose to my skimmer vacuum plate.

Hopefully someone comes along with experience with that cleaner. I've seen them in some forum member's pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.