Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: variable pump speeds

1. Back To Top    #1

variable pump speeds

10,000 gal in ground pool with pentair variable three speed pump. what speeds and duration for each speed should i set the pump at ?
    in ground pool, 10000 gal, salt generator with variable speed pump, 2 years old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: variable pump speeds

Welcome to TFP!

I run mine at 1100 rpm to skim, filter and make chlorine with the SWG. Find the speed where the SWG gives a low flow error, mine is 900 rpm, and raise it a couple of hundred rpm. 6-8 hours is probably long enough.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

are you not using the other 2 speeds just running 1100 all the time on 1 speed ?
    in ground pool, 10000 gal, salt generator with variable speed pump, 2 years old

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I'm actually using four speeds. But then my pool has a SWG, in floor cleaning system, and solar heating. Each task may require a different speed. You always look for the lowest effective speed for each task. I run a short cleaning cycle in the AM at 2800rpm, skim and chlorinating at 1400rpm mid day, and 1000rpm for extra filtration late afternoon. Anytime heat is called for and available, the solar controller ramps the pump up to 2600 and opens the valves to the solar panels.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have speed 2 set at 2100 rpm for the solar panels, the solar controller automatically switches to it when solar heat is available. And speed 3 set at 2500 rpm to check filter pressure and I use that speed with 100% bottom drain suction when I brush my pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach