Help for newbie

mjm

Jun 24, 2016
Roseville
Hi,

I am considering doing my own maintenance. Currently my pool service uses the tablets, and I want to learn how to manage the chemicals myself with bleach. I had some algae, so I added bleach, without really knowing how much to add. The algae is gone (after about 3 days). I also cleaned the filter cartridges, and brushed the entire pool every other day. I vacuum the pool by hand, maybe once every two weeks, or less. I ordered the TF 100 test kit. Chlorine was 23 parts per million. Total alkalinity was 70. PH was 6.9. CYA was 80. Test indicated no calcium.

So far I took out the chlorine tablets. What should I do next.

Thank you!

mjm
10,000 gallons in-ground, gunite, built in 2001
single speed Hayward pump model C48K2N143C2C
cartridge filter
Sacramento, CA

Hello Roseville and welcome to TFP! :wave: Right down the road from Beale AFB - my home for 4 years. :) Normally we focus on FC and algae removal first, but I can't help but be concerned about your pH and CH. Your pH is too low (corrosive), and if your CH test was performed correctly, that's very dangerous as well for the health of your plaster. No CH and low pH together mean problems for your plaster, so definitely increase the pH to about 7.5-7.7 using Borax. The Poolmath calculator can help you determine how much to add.

I would be sure about that CH though. It would be a shame to increase it only to find out something was wrong with the test.

Good thing you removed the tabs. Your CYA is at the high end for a non-SWG pool, so make sure you only use regular bleach for your FC from now on.

Next time you post your results, please post them as follows:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CYA
CH

Thanks, and let us know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks Texas Splash,

I did the calcium test again and got 225. Must have done something wrong before. I'll go buy some borax.

mjm
10,000 gallons in-ground, gunite, built in 2001
single speed Hayward pump model C48K2N143C2C
cartridge filter
Sacramento, CA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.