Blue cloudy

Jun 23, 2016
Porterville/CA
My pool had mustard algae and a very small spot of black algae so I added clorox algae code xtra blue (just like I had done many times before) and now it's like a blue cloudy haze. The pump/filter has been running for 12yrs already and is still on. It's an in ground pool about 20,000 gallons, salt water. Just wondering if it will clear up soon or if there's something else I should do. Had the levels checked and everything so far are all in the normal range. Please help, kids really want in lol

Those Chlorox XtraBlue products contain COPPER!! Avoid these like the plague!

You do NOT want to be adding metals to your pool because they cause staining, green hair and difficulty removing.

You need to get a metal test done and see where your water rates- you may need to drain and refill or get in to using sequestrants and dealing with that hassle.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

You can monitor the pool for any signs of metal staining / water tinting. If the water takes on a tinted color - usually green, brown, blue, yellow - but is still clear (unlike algae which results in green and cloudy water), you can add a sequestrant to keep the metals in suspension and make the water appear clear. This would be the quickest way to make the water appear clear and guard against metal staining. Would definitely stop using any product that contains copper or other metals. Over time, the metal content will gradually diminish with splash-out, backwashes, and top-offs.

If you do have to go the sequestrant root, find a sequestrant based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives as these are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.