Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine too high - others, not so much

1. Back To Top    #1

Wake Forest

Chlorine too high - others, not so much

Our pool is 10' wide and 2' 1/2", above-ground: Summer Escapes 10-Feet-by-30-Inch Quick Set Ring Pool: Toys Games

Our pump filter died and we allowed the pool to become a somewhat lime color. Since, we fixed the pump and added chlorine to the filter for about a week to eat away the organics growing in the pool. Now, the pool is clear, but after we have stopped adding chlorine and allowed the pool to remain untouched for a few days, we tested the levels and are surprised to see chlorine still at a high level:

Hardiness is Low
    Total Chlorine is 10 ppm or more
    Free Chlorine is 5-10 ppm
    pH is around 6.8
    Alkaline looks to be ok (120)
    Stabilizer looks to be low

My question is - what is the best way to equalize the pool and allow my Wife to swim before she rips my face off?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Chlorine too high - others, not so much

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the pool! Here is how we recommend taking care of a small pool. Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. Good luck with the mrs!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Northern IL

Re: Chlorine too high - others, not so much

I would get that pH up to 7.4 with 20 Mule Team Borax tomorrow.
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.