Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring 2017 Build - MA

1. Back To Top    #1

Inground Vinyl 23'x40' Aspen Build in MA

We've just put a deposit down to be the first install of next spring for our pool builder and patio installer. Not sure if it's normal to plan this far ahead but I'm OCD, so here we are! We're going with a 23x40 Aspen shaped vinyl pool, Salt System, Heat Pump, swimout, hybrid in-floor cleaning system (Caretaker heads, Paramount valve, plus Polaris 360), and 3 LED lights. For the patio we're doing exposed aggregate and will have a retaining wall at one end and fire pit with seating wall at the other end. Below is a 3D drawing that the patio guy did showing the final design we settled on, minus some landscaping that will be done around the walls. Here's to hoping we have an easy winter and they can start in March! We'll definitely be swimming by Memorial Day.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spring 2017 Build - MA

Looks great, would add a water feature for aesthetics (and supports and rails on your deck haha).
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

FWIW I would make sure you can position chairs on the other side of the firepit so you can gaze at the pool. (or watch the kids)

Where will your equipment end up?

Other things:
    Where will you store your pool "toys"/leafrake/etc
    Solar cover? If so where will it go when off.

Just some thoughts. Looks great!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also ask him to draw the pool and decking outlines on the lawn.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    FWIW I would make sure you can position chairs on the other side of the firepit so you can gaze at the pool. (or watch the kids)

Where will your equipment end up?

Other things:
    Where will you store your pool "toys"/leafrake/etc
    Solar cover? If so where will it go when off.

Just some thoughts. Looks great!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also ask him to draw the pool and decking outlines on the lawn.
    The wall on the other side of the fire pit is a seating wall, so people can sit on that and face the pool.

Equipment will be on the side of the house at the back corner, just in front of the fence. We plan to put an "L" shaped section of 4' fencing around it to cover it up once everything is done. It will come off the existing fence, out towards the pool, and then back into the corner of the house.

Pool toys will likely end up under the deck. It's in the process of being done over in composite and vinyl railings, so will probably enclose the bottom of it and store toys and leaf rake etc. under there. It's 12'x16' so will have plenty of storage. There's also a 10'x16' shed not in view on this rendering, that's off to the bottom left of the picture.

As for solar cover, I'm really on the fence about it. They're such a pain in the butt, but I know it will save me a lot of money on heating costs. With this shape pool, if we used a reel, it would have to go at the deep end towards the retaining wall, which means making the patio bigger to have a place to store it. Aesthetically, a reel doesn't fit in anywhere with this design. I'm thinking maybe we will do one without a reel and just use it in the early and later weeks of the season, just folding it up and storing it under the deck so we can retain the heat on cool nights in May and September.

5. Back To Top    #5

How about some Handy deck jets?

30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Or Jandy

7. Back To Top    #7

No steps??

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    No steps??
    Yes, there are steps, on the right side of the pool are the steps in the low end and in the deep end is a swim out. There will be no ladders or railings.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jtrovato21 View Post
    Yes, there are steps, on the right side of the pool are the steps in the low end and in the deep end is a swim out. There will be no ladders or railings.
    I'd seriously consider a handrail for the steps. If you really don't want to now maybe just put the sleeves in the deck for future use if desired.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    I'd seriously consider a handrail for the steps. If you really don't want to now maybe just put the sleeves in the deck for future use if desired.
    What's the reasoning for this? My parents have had a pool with steps and rails for 25 years and I can't remember the last time I saw someone use the railing going up or down the steps. I prefer the clean look without the rails.
    Inground vinyl 23'x40' Aspen shape, ~27K gallons, Sta-Rite Intellipro 2 VST Pump, Sta-Rite System:3 Mod DE Filter (60 sq ft), Hybrid In-Floor System (Paramount Valve with Caretaker Heads), AquaComfort Heat Pump, 3x Savi Melody Sol 28W LED Lights, Pentair IC60 SWCG, EasyTouch Automation with ScreenLogic, TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

You never know if someone will have a mobility issue. Easy to do the sleeves now. All just thoughts.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I didn't do any railings and my Aunt reminds me each visit. I like the look without but they do serve a purpose.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

We have no railings and love it. Who is putting in your pool? I ask, because we have an Aspen as well and our pool builder comes from your area.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by doobs41378 View Post
    We have no railings and love it. Who is putting in your pool? I ask, because we have an Aspen as well and our pool builder comes from your area.
    Family Pools out of Lawrence. Any pictures of yours you can share?
    Inground vinyl 23'x40' Aspen shape, ~27K gallons, Sta-Rite Intellipro 2 VST Pump, Sta-Rite System:3 Mod DE Filter (60 sq ft), Hybrid In-Floor System (Paramount Valve with Caretaker Heads), AquaComfort Heat Pump, 3x Savi Melody Sol 28W LED Lights, Pentair IC60 SWCG, EasyTouch Automation with ScreenLogic, TF-100 test kit.

15. Back To Top    #15

I would love to see a pic of where it is going. Maybe use a bright rope or hose to kind outline it.

Have you pick out the equipment yet? If so share it here and we will help make sure you the best size and such for your pool.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I would love to see a pic of where it is going. Maybe use a bright rope or hose to kind outline it.

Have you pick out the equipment yet? If so share it here and we will help make sure you the best size and such for your pool.

Kim
    Equipment isn't finalized yet because I have a connection at a pool supply place that I can get anything from Bel-Aqua at dealer cost. The PB is getting me the costs of what I would pay for the equipment through him (breaking out material and labor for the install) so I can see where I can save money. As for what they use, this is what I know so far if I go with all their equipment:

Filter: Sta-Rite Mod Media 60
    Pump: Sta-Rite 1.75 HP
    SWCG: Autopilot (not sure on the model)
    Heat Pump: AquaCal 120
    In-Floor System: Caretaker Pop Up Heads (8), Paramount Control Valve, and Polaris 360 all included as part of their package for 100% cleaning coverage

17. Back To Top    #17

Saving money is great, but if you supply parts to the PB, they're your parts before he touches them and so are any problems. If the PB supplies them, your check is for a pool, etc. completed to your specs. Any problems are between him and his supplier.

Here's a current thread about the problems you can face when the builder isn't the supplier and the homeowner gets caught in the middle: Pool uprights not level
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMcC View Post
    Saving money is great, but if you supply parts to the PB, they're your parts before he touches them and so are any problems. If the PB supplies them, your check is for a pool, etc. completed to your specs. Any problems are between him and his supplier.

Here's a current thread about the problems you can face when the builder isn't the supplier and the homeowner gets caught in the middle: Pool uprights not level
    Yeah I definitely have this on my mind. The savings are going to have to be significant for me to supply any of my own equipment. If it's not a significant savings (measured in thousands), then I'm going to go with having the PB supply everything for exactly the reason stated above.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by jtrovato21 View Post
    Family Pools out of Lawrence. Any pictures of yours you can share?
    Great choice. They were great to work with before, during and after. PM me your email address and I can send you some pictures.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

20. Back To Top    #20

Here are some pics of the back yard as it looks today. We have a corner lot, so pictures are taken from the driveway and street that go along the side of the back yard. Fence will be continued along the street and driveway to completely close in the yard after the pool is done.

And again the picture of where the pool will go, so you don't have to go back to the first post:

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast