Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: All chemical problem.Everything is a mess!

1. Back To Top    #1

All chemical problem.Everything is a mess!

I have a 24 ft again pool jacuzzi cartridge filter with a heater. Here's my issue
    Ph 5.0
    Alkalinity 100
    Fc 0
    Tc 0
    Stabilizer 0
    My old heater broke this year.. we replaced with a gently used one. When I shocked the pool at beginning of season it turned green. Cleared the next day. We replaced the heater that week. Now when I add ph or alk it turns green. I obviously have metal in pool.. bathing suits are turning brown. I know there is no cya detected even though I spent 100$ last yr trying to get it detectable to no avail. I did add metal out yesterday and today. I'm wondering if at this point I should just drain the pool and start over! !!!! The pool water is pretty clear and it put a puck in the floater every day so I know there's chlorine in it. I have been a pool owner for 15 yrs and this is the worse it's ever been. I know that the metal is from our old pool heater because I couldn't get the water regulated last year. We have city water. Where do I start first? Metal removed or ph and chlorine? Everything I add ph it turns green a well. I'm sorry this is crazy but thanks in advanced.
    BTW my readings are from the pool store.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: All chemical problem.Everything is a mess!

Hi, welcome to TFP! I would drain the pool and start over. Copper is difficult to manage and requires a delicate balance of sequestrant, pH, and FC. If you can't raise the pH above 5.0 without it turning green there is far too much copper in the water. You can keep fighting it and pour a ton of money and chemicals in there or you can drain and start over. Low pH is very hard on vinyl liners.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what zea3 said....drain the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys.. that's what I thought I was going to have to do. I hate the thought of it but I want to savage what pool time we have left this summer.