Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing PH

Should I balance my Ph level before adding liquid Chlorine?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balancing PH

Hello and welcome to TFP! Always get some chlorine in the water right away based on your CYA level to avoid algae, then balance pH. They can be done within a short time of each other anyways, but best to avoid algae for sure.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have been having trouble getting my CYA levels down? I have partial drained and refilled but my CYA has stayed between 100-150. What can I do?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

How are you chlorinating?

Water replacement will lower CYA. You may have to do several rounds.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

In addition to what Mr Bruce pointed-out, now looks like it would also be a good time for you to confirm for us how you area testing your water. Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I was using dichlor shock and trichlor pucks until about 3 weeks ago when my cya began to raise. Since then I have been using 10% liquid chlorine.
    Brandy- 15' round above ground pool in 2012 5300 gal., Hayward 100# Sand filter, Hayward power-flow lx 1hp pump, 60 gpm circulation, AquaCheck 7 Test strips