Considering new pump questions

Cali16

Jun 18, 2016
Crystal Lake, IL
Hello TFP :sun:

Trying to decide whether or not to repair or replace the pump. Had renters leave in April, who ran the system with a broken skimmer basket and filter basket since I found a "Fruit Roll-up" wrapper lodged in the impeller. I suspect the impeller needs to be cleaned out further, since the pump is not completely priming (primes about 90%) and there is not enough suction to vacuum.

Weighing the cost of repairing the pump vs. having it replaced. Immediate cost is an issue either way, but I also realize with the age of the pump and the ComEd rebate, it might be very comparable. I am not very concerned about the ongoing cost to run the pump since the house will be rented again.

Pool was installed in 2001, so the pump is 15 years old. ComEd is offering a $400 rebate if replaced with an EnergyStar rated pump.

10K, in-ground, 1.5" solid flex PVC pipe, 220 V, and filter GPM=60, max psi=40.

Considering the .75 HP Pentair 2 speed Superflo. Current pump is a .75 HP Jacuzzi Magnum Force.

Reading through threads on the forum about replacement pumps brings up several concerns:
1. Pairing the new pump with the GPM capacity of the sand filter
2. Finding a pump that will be compatible with the 1.5" pipes and run on the established 220V connection
3. Correct pump choice given there are lines for the cascade and the slide in addition to the one skimmer line and one main drain line

Thoughts?

ComEd is offering a $400 rebate if replaced with an EnergyStar rated pump.
That would pay for a two speed pump or about 1/2 a VS. Two speeds are also EnergyStar rated.

1. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Sand filters can take a beating and with your plumbing, I doubt you would exceed that with the SuperFlo.

2. All pumps are compatible with 1.5" plumbing but may not be the best choice. Smaller is usually better with pumps no matter what size plumbing.

3. What was the model of your old pump and did it work satisfactorily for those features? If you match the head curve with your old pump, it will operate much like your old pump did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.