Should I even bother with CYA...

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
We just sold our house with our lovely doughboy pool that we already miss. We are renting a house right now until we finish contstructing our new house. :cool:

My little ones have to have something for the summer so I bought a 49.99 intex summer scapes pool. 10ft x 2.5 feet ~1500 gallons and im just gonna use the little crappy pump that came with it. I put the pool on our back porch, under the roof. Back of the house is on the east side, so the pool only sees a little sun (8-10 am) and its only partial per day.

I sold all my testing supplies and what not with the house as unfortunately it will be a couple years until we can have another pool, so I dont have a way to test CYA. I just bought the cheap 6 dollar HTH test kit for ph and chlorine at walmart. Still gonna BBB the pool but am only planning on worrying about FC and pH.

should I even jack with CYA since the pool sees no sun?

thanks!

CYA is important, even in a seasonal pool. This is what you are looking for Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

but since CYA is strictly "suncreen for pools" (words from the link) then I would think it wouldnt be necessary if the pool is in the shade 95% of the time and the other 5% is indirect sunlight.

but I guess, erroring on the side of caution, rather than invest in a test kit just for cya, ill just calculate how much I need to go from 0-40, buy the smallest bottle they have, measure it accurately, and not worry about it for the remainder of the season.

thanks Mr. Bruce for the input and the link.

The 6 way test kit should have the CYA test in it. Opps read your post wrong--you said $6 not 6 way. See if you can find the hth 6 way test.

Also think of the CYA as a "buffer" for the FC in terms of how it feels on the skin.

I like your idea of adding what you know will get it to 40 and letting it ride. Keep the PH in check for her little eyes as well.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.