Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool access gate width

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool access gate width

Regs say the access gate max width is 48". Does that mean the actual gate or the width between the posts? As you know there is a difference, there is about 1/4 - 1/2" between the posts and the actual gate frame.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool access gate width

Seems like a question for your inspector.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Been there 2 inspectors two different answers
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)

4. Back To Top    #4

Ask a third

They are the ones that decide how they enforce the codes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I can't find the Fulterton rule on gates. But I find it difficult to believe the max size is 48" If it is that's a Fulterton rule which exists I suspect to prevent people from parking their RV in the backyard. Its not a California rule regarding pools.

I would ask over the counter and have the counter person check with the supervisor.

I suspect its the width between the posts. And they don't care about less than an inch.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, I am going with the width between the posts so I will make the wall opening smaller. My choices are a rough opening of 52" or 45" for the block to look correct using 16" slump block so it's either (1) 16" block on one side or 1 (16) and 1 half block. The gate uses 1.5" square steel posts, so the net opening is either 49" or 42" (post to post).

Not going take a chance of further delays over 1" as I don't know which inspector will show up so I will just do the smaller gate.

7. Back To Top    #7

We have rv access to our yard on one side and walk through on the other. As long as both have self closing hinges and swing outwards we passed.