Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New and nervous!

1. Back To Top    #1

New and nervous!

New here...we have a 18x9x52 Intex Ultra Frame. We put 1.5" pavers under the support legs. Two have cracked and the pool is 1.5" off. I'm a little bit nervous about it. What is the tolerance? As you can see, it's quit close to our fence and the pavers that cracked are the back two on left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x9x52" Intex Ultra Frame, 4545 gal
    Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump (1050 gal/hour)
    Saltwater System w/ E.C.O

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New and nervous!

Hello Angie and welcome to TFP! You have a nice set-up there. But to answer your question, the industry standard is typically 1" of level. Will 1.5" be okay? ...... it might hold-up. But you should watch that carefully for further settling and take into consideration the direction of water if there were to be a rupture to minimize damages to property or injury to swimmers or people in the area. Great to have you with us at TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sorry if I seem overly paranoid...have you seen or heard of these pools actually collapsing?

4. Back To Top    #4

Make sure your liability insurance in current "just in case"
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

5. Back To Top    #5

That does not make me feel any better. I just can't imagine that they would sell 1000's of these pools with just a tolerance of one inch. You'd almost have to be an engineer to get it right on (if you don't have a slab). We leveled, tampered, leveled, tampered, leveled...while using a laser the entire time. Layed down a sheet of metal, placed pavers and still had those two crack. Next year were doing a slab!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

You can get within 1/8th inch of level with a 8 foot 2 x 4 and a 4 foot bubble level. It's hard work but it's possible. You should swap the broken pavers for 4 inch solid concrete block only 1.33 each at home depot. Remember you dig down the high spots not fill in the low spots for a firm base.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Angie.ridesnow View Post
    That does not make me feel any better. I just can't imagine that they would sell 1000's of these pools with just a tolerance of one inch. You'd almost have to be an engineer to get it right on (if you don't have a slab). We leveled, tampered, leveled, tampered, leveled...while using a laser the entire time. Layed down a sheet of metal, placed pavers and still had those two crack. Next year were doing a slab!!!
    Sorry, did not intent to add to your worry, just saying with the pool that close to a common fence, if something "were" to happen at least your liability would be covered.

I would get that pool to within 1 inch of level, water is heavy and powerful. Mine was out two inches last year so I took it down and did it with much more patience than the first time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by unkyjoe View Post
    Sorry, did not intent to add to your worry, just saying with the pool that close to a common fence, if something "were" to happen at least your liability would be covered.

I would get that pool to within 1 inch of level, water is heavy and powerful. Mine was out two inches last year so I took it down and did it with much more patience than the first time.
    I understand and thank you! I went out and measured the water level this morning (kids played in it yesterday) and it looks as though it settled a bit. Three corners were the same and one corner is 1" off (high) from the other 3. Can you suggest a good way or more accurate way to measure? I've been going from water level to bottom of white sewn area. I can't go off the blue squares because they're all sewn differently. Thanks again!

9. Back To Top    #9

Pavers should be minimum 2", preferably 4". Also, they should be dug down flush to the ground, not sitting on top. Lastly, they must be fully supported by level, tampered surface. They will break if sitting on uneven surface.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump