Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IG Lighting

1. Back To Top    #1

IG Lighting

18x36 vinyl did not have lighting installed in pool when built. Is installing wiring/light canister a DIY project or professional only?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IG Lighting

It could be DIY if you're skilled in electrical, concrete and excavation work. If you're putting in a light niche, I'd recommend having it done professionally. There are some other options out there now such as fiber optic pool lighting that might be more DIY.

Welcome to TFP!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks JVTrain. I just contacted my local pool builder who recently installed a liner and new pump for me. He is going to work up a quote on a couple of lights, which I'm sure will run me over $2k if I'm lucky. I will have to figure out whether or not my family will enjoy swimming enough at night to justify the cost.

Anyone know of any alternative methods of lighting a pool without running canned lights?

4. Back To Top    #4

If you check out this thread, a user has used LED strip lighting to add light to the pool. I believe this is technically against electrical code, but I'm not certain. Making an old pool NEW again If you didn't want to put it below the coping, you could do a similar LED strip in your fencing or other area around the pool to be up to code.

There are also some fiber optics options that may be amenable to DIY, depending on your ability to work with FO cable and lighting. LED and Fiber Optic Lighting by Wiedamark - Fiber Optic Pool Spa
    It's easier to meet electrical code with FO lighting since there is no wiring near the pool, only the FO cable.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah the LED strings don't comply with the code.

You may want to look at Nicheless lights. They install into 1 1/2 PVC and are now comparable with standard LED.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall