I'm back - SLAM 2.0 2016 Version - Need more patience or am I doing something wrong?

This weekend has been terrible for the pool. The only this I had time to do yesterday was dump about 70-80oz around 2 PM. Had a yard sale in the AM and wedding in the PM. Wedding was beautiful but pool is still not. It's been so busy I'm not even sure what my numbers were. I am pretty confident that I maintained shock level FC for most of yesterday as I was in and out. Tested this morning and added 32oz. Checked this afternoon and FC was 13.5. I added another 32oz, vacuumed and changed filter. I'm seeing some slight improvement. I didn't get a picture. I'm tired and was in a hurry. I will share some pictures from the wedding. This is the barn. It's on my grandparents old farm. They are gone now but my aunt still lives there.
ecb9616373c85f827e302ee3c6cec2fe.jpg

My niece and her new husband.
13515da7a8bf5d7bfb746f1381252145.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update:
I haven't had very much time to do anything on the pool. I've been super busy. I have been checking FC at night and adjusting. The last two days I've had my wife dump 60oz after lunch. The water is improving slowly. I can now clearly see the bottom but there is still a green tint. I hope to get a good cleaning in this evening after my daughter gets done with swim lessons. Will try to get a new picture as well.

I have to ask. If you simply don't have the time to test and adjust at least 3 times every day, why not just dump it. Looks like 5k gallons to me, which would be very quick.

I have to ask. If you simply don't have the time to test and adjust at least 3 times every day, why not just dump it. Looks like 5k gallons to me, which would be very quick.

Great question!
1. I was hoping to have more time but it just hasn't worked out that way.
2. I thought a SLAM would be cheaper than dumping. I live outside the city but am hooked to the city sewer. I pay a surcharge for every 1k gallons of water I use. It's ridiculous but I don't have much choice in the matter.
3. I don't own a shop vac or sump pump and my drain is on the uphill side. I was worried that I couldn't get it empty enough to adequately clean.
4. I've had 2-3 smaller temporary AGPs and I've never been very successful in draining and cleaning.
5. I saw a question on the forum last year about how the "regulars" can stand to answer the same question over and over again. "My pool is green, what do I do?" I think the SLAM is addicting. It's addicting to do and it's addicting to read about. I love watching the water turn from a swampy mess to crystal clear, whether it be my pool or someone else's.

Honestly... I don't know. I thought this method would be cheaper and easier. I didn't anticipate not having the time to dedicate. I have been vacuuming and brushing more this week and I hope to hit it hard this weekend. I have been testing twice a day and I'm adjusting 3 times a day if you count my wife dumping mid-day. I read somewhere on here that the 5k-6k gallon range is the recommended SLAM range. I feel like I'm too invested in the SLAM at this point to just dump.

Maybe not?

I'm losing this battle with this pool. Took this picture yesterday and am was getting hopeful. Then I found a patch on the bottom that was bubbled up. When I press on it brown stuff comes out so I bout some stuff to repair. I get home today from Church and the pump isn't running. I'm now at a birthday party wondering what I'm going to do. I guess hook up my 1500 pump when I get home. Here is the picture from yesterday.
3ba64bc4cea1b48e544a0bceb0a823b8.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got the hole patched and I'm praying it holds. I swapped the bad 2500gph for the old 1500gph. There is a night and day difference between the 2500 and the 1500 but I did it last year using the 1500 so I'm hoping it holds out. Just going to have more patience. I"m hoping to "tear" into the 2500 tonight and see if maybe it's just some debris in the motor or something causing the problem. Otherwise I will have to finish the SLAM and the season with the 1500 and look for a sand pump during the winter. Praying for patience and no more issues.

I'm wondering if the loose patch could have been part of the issue with the SLAM taking so long? The old patch came off with just a slight tug and it was patching a pretty large hole. Maybe not....

Oh well... I have no ball games this week so I'm hoping to get this thing clear by this weekend even with the 1500 pump!

This pool is killing me financially and mentally/emotionally!

I'm out of Powder (should arrive today) so I've been dumping chlorine based on my best guesstimate! This morning the water level was down even though it rained last night so I'm thinking my patch isn't holding. The good news is I tore into the 2500 pump last night and it looks like a bearing went bad. I can replace the bearings for about $8 and I have some on order. The bad news is I'm not sure I can put everything back together correctly. Hoping my pictures and notes are enough. I'm much better at tearing apart (or up) than putting back together but figure it was worth a shot. If I can't repair the pump then we've decided to stick with the 1500 pump for this year. We are trying to save up to go to Disney in November so we need are on a tight budget! Planning on using next years tax money to make some upgrades including a sand filter/pump. Any suggestions on pumps for my size pool would be appreciated so I can budget for next year and keep and eye open for some deals!

Even though I keep having problems I'm determined to swim in this thing before the summer is out! I will not be defeated!!!!!

The water keeps improving even with all the issues. Will try to get a picture this evening.

Wiz I have the 16x48 Intex pool and upgraded to an Intex Sand Filter 2650 gph - the 14 inch size - and it is amazing. Keeps my pool crystal clear and cost about $140. Fits perfectly with the unique intex parts so it was a no brainer for me. I bought it from Amazon but they have them at Walmart too - go early in the season like March/April bc Walmart will usually only stock 1 or 2 and when they're gone they're gone.

Wiz I have the 16x48 Intex pool and upgraded to an Intex Sand Filter 2650 gph - the 14 inch size - and it is amazing. Keeps my pool crystal clear and cost about $140. Fits perfectly with the unique intex parts so it was a no brainer for me. I bought it from Amazon but they have them at Walmart too - go early in the season like March/April bc Walmart will usually only stock 1 or 2 and when they're gone they're gone.

Thanks for the information!

My CC is 0 and FC has been holding pretty steady (16 is my goal) but I still have a green tint. Im holding off on the OCLT until the water is clear but I know I'm close. Hoping to be able to swim this weekend!

I'm definitely loosing water so my patch isn't holding. I will have to investigate this evening.

I ordered the bushings for my 2500 pump and they will be here Wednesday. Hoping I can get that rebuilt and hooked back up quickly. The 1500 just doesn't push the water like the 2500.

5d98be44ae020c74264b521c25be998d.jpg

It is safe to swim as long as your FC isn't about SLAM level and you can safely see the bottom of the pool. Swimming prolongs the SLAM, but what is the point of having a pool if you can't swim in it!

Bigger filters and more water flow helps speed up the SLAM. Small filters/pumps makes SLAMing a pain.

The hole could introduce organics if the hole is on the bottom of your pool which would increase/make completing the SLAM moot. Especially if a lot of organics are constantly getting in the pool.

Hope your pool troubles are resolved soon.

Water is almost there but the patching isn't going so well. We bought the pool used a couple years ago and when we got home we discovered that a mouse had chewed some pretty large holes in the liner. I was able to patch the holes with some success at that time but now, 3 years later, the two patches on the bottom have turned loose. I used an old liner and some marine epoxy on my first attempt. Last night I used the adhesive that comes with a vinyl repair kit. I do not have much confidence that this is going to hold. I cannot replace the liner this year so I have to figure out the best way to patch this thing. Any suggestions on patching large holes in the bottom of an AGP that is full of water? I"m about to begin searching the forums and internet for ideas. I have plenty of liner material from an old AGP that we ditched a couple years ago. I just need to find the right adhesive.

I was able to patch a hole in mine with water in it... my first attempt did not work so the second time I went to Lowe's and got the glue you use for pvc pipes (can't remember the name of it now but I will take a pic of it when I get home) and put a 5lb bag of sand on it for a day. It worked for me!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.