Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Multiport Valve repair help

1. Back To Top    #1

Multiport Valve repair help

I have two leaks on the side of the multiport valve that needs attention. But I'm not sure if I can do this myself or if I have to call a repairman. I've tried searching online for the side part but it looks nothing like the part I need. I have attached pictures. The leak is coming from the the black rubber part coming off the multiport valve. It seems it is slowly degrading and one of them has a tiny hole in which I used piping thread and electric tape to prevent the water from squirting all over the place. Seems pretty straight forward in that I loosen the black piece change the rubber piece and reattach everything. But the problem is I cannot find this piece anywhere. Is this a pretty straight forward simple repair or do I need to call a repair man. I have no experience in piping but I'm a quick learner any help would be appreciated.20160613_202434.jpg20160530_105946.jpg
    Pentair Quad D.E Cartridge Style Filter
    Pentair Multiport Valve SM-20-3
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Energy Filter
    Gas heater for Spa and pool

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Multiport Valve repair help

electric tape
    Yikes! If you really used electrical tape, you need to remake that joint. Use pipe dope only!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

lol..was in a bind and everything around me was closed. Had to improvise.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

In the past here is what I have used. I wrap the threads with teflon tape and then use a soft non hardening pipe dope on top of the tape. Works great.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok I was able to locate the part and it seems pretty straight forward to replace. For anyone having a similar problem I listed the part below. I appreciate the help from those who tried to help.

CMP Pump Union, Threaded 2" MPT x 2" Slip - CPVC

Pentair Quad D.E Cartridge Style Filter
    Pentair Multiport Valve SM-20-3
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Energy Filter
    Gas heater for Spa and pool