FC 14
    CC 1

Just waited a few hours and retested and added more
    FC 12
    CC 1
    CYA 40-45

Added enough to go up to 18FC based on new CYA

I have some questions

Should the CYA have gone up? Very possible that it's me being new at CYA tests because it's hard to see exactly when the dot disappears.

Also should I be aiming on the high side of the shock numbers or try to hit it exactly? It's decreasing over time so I made most of my calculations with some margin of error.

Should I be testing anything else during SLAM? I add DE 1/2 cup to my sand filter and I backwash at about 10-12 psi increase. Any other tips welcomed.
    MY FIRST SEASON WITH A POOL - TFP SAVED MY LIFE
    21,000 Gallon Vinyl IGP (16*34.5*7.5) -- K-2006 Test Kit with a Speed Stir
    Hayward 1HP "Superpump" w/ Hayward S-200 High Rate Sand Filter, Checked in fall 2015
    3 Returns, no Main Drain -- Blue Wave Magni-Clear Solar Cover -- Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Starting my first SLAM

1. CYA test is tricky. You can pour back into the squirt bottle a couple of times and take an average. You're probably looking at a 40ish number, call it 40. Don't sweat it too much.

2. Right at what the chart says. No need to waste chlorine going over. Lots of science has gone into the chart, trust it.

3. Just FC until the SLAM is over.

Thanks for doing your homework and having a good handle on things before you start posting.
    Last edited by Mr Bruce; 06-08-2016 at 06:08 PM. Reason: wording
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

To save on chems for the FC test use only 5ml of water vice 10ml. Each drop will count as 1ppm vice .5ppm. You'll use 1/2 the drops.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Smart

Thanks to you both

- - - Updated - - -

This seems like a dumb question but would that mean I use half the powder too?

5. Back To Top    #5

Use one scoop or so. You want some undissolved crystals.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

I did another CYA test this morning just for kicks and practice, did it twice and got 60 each time. Up from 30-40. Is that normal or unreasonable? Is CYA testing accurate during SLAM? Should I move forward with 60 levels of bleach?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

It's important to do the CYA test in full sunlight, back to the sun, holding the tube waist high with 2 fingers at the top (as opposed to a closed fist).

This morning at 7-7:30 in CT is not full sunlight
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL

8. Back To Top    #8

Clearly it's 40 or below doing it correctly. I'm glad someone around here knows what they're doing. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Hello again. Pool is now pretty blue but cloudy. Can finally see the bottom when you're vacuuming. But still some more to go. Two questions.

1. I bought a clear solar cover should I keep that off? Or on?

2. I have some clarifiers left over from the pool store. Clear aid and ulta bright in particular. I assume you're against those? Would they help with the cloudiness or just wait for the chlorine do its thing? I have a sand filter. So any performance improving tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mctwist937; 06-12-2016 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Unfinished question

10. Back To Top    #10

SLAM Progress

Hello again. 4 days into my first slam. Pool is now pretty blue but a little cloudy. Can finally see the bottom when you're vacuuming. But still some more to go. Today I scrubbed out my skimmer, ladder, returns, etc. expecting to have pretty good overnight test results. Two questions.

1. I bought a clear solar cover should I keep that on/off so I can warm it up for next weekend? Or do I have to wait until slam is over?

2. I have some clarifiers left over from the pool store. Clear aid and ulta bright in particular. I assume you're against those? Would they help with the cloudiness or just wait for the chlorine to do its thing? I have a sand filter. So any clarifying / performance improving tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
    MY FIRST SEASON WITH A POOL - TFP SAVED MY LIFE
    21,000 Gallon Vinyl IGP (16*34.5*7.5) -- K-2006 Test Kit with a Speed Stir
    Hayward 1HP "Superpump" w/ Hayward S-200 High Rate Sand Filter, Checked in fall 2015
    3 Returns, no Main Drain -- Blue Wave Magni-Clear Solar Cover -- Mesh Winter Cover

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: SLAM Progress

1 - Best to keep the cover off and let the pool breathe.
    2 - Do not add the clarifiers at this time. If we were to believe that at some point after an exceptionally long SLAM that the results required some supplemental treatments (very rare), we'd evaluate that based on your test results and overall SLAM performance. Later, towards the end of the SLAM, we "might" recommend adding some DE to help collect some residual algae debris, but that would be towards the very tail-end of the SLAM.

For now .... patience and reviewing the SLAM page each day to ensure you're doing all the little things required. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: SLAM Progress

Oh should I not be adding some DE? There was a link to adding de to the skimmer for sand filters on the slam page so I have been doing that after each back wash. About 1/2 cup

13. Back To Top    #13

Status update.

Water is clear now. I tried an OCLT last night.

11pm readings (0.5ppm drop equivalent)
    FC 22
    CC 0.5
    CYA 50

6AM readings (0.5ppm drop equivalent)
    FC 20.5
    CC 0.5

So I guess I just missed? I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right and that the test is accurate at 22ppm. The example says be above 3ppm at which point I could use 0.2ppm drop equivalent. But I didn't let it drop I kept it above shock

Please advise on that detail. Otherwise I'll keep going. And thanks for maintaining this forum. It's amazing how much better this is than 50 trips to the pool store.

Don't know what I will do with my 40 lb canister of cal hypo powder, pucks, and clarifiers though. Not glad to have wasted all that money.

Thanks again so much I'll be a lifelong advocate.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Yep doing it right and keep using the 10ml sample. Hold the SLAM level and do another OCLT. With what your describing and measuring you shouldn't be too far off passing.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

15. Back To Top    #15

Help!

Failed OCLT again today at 2ppm however I had to use 5ml sample and 1.0ppm drops because I am essentially out of r0871.

I called every pool store near me yesterday for it. No one had it. I have ordered it but it will take too long to arrive. What do I do? Is there any other method to measure FC that high?

Uh oh. What do I do now?

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Don't sweat it too much. By now you should have a pretty good idea of how much chlorine you've been adding every day. Just continue to add that amount, then see where you are when your 871 arrives.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Yep agree with Mr Bruce- just add what you'v been adding.

Just worth mentioning in case you didn't know that an OCLT must be passed with the 10ml sample- i.e. a 5ml sample isn't accurate enough
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok I finally got my 0871 refill. Using 0.5ppm drop eqiv

OCLT last night midnight
    FC - 20
    CC -1

6 am today
    FC 21
    CC 0.5 (probably less it was almost clear with no drops but there was some color)

Can I stop slamming now? What next?

Thanks
    Dan

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

If the water is clear, then yes, you are done. The FC can drop to target level and then never let it fall below minimum. Grab a pH test as soon as it drops below 10.

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok finished slam and here are my numbers

FC 3.5
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.8
    TA 80
    CH 370
    CYA 40 (40 in my own shadow, 30 in the sunlight if I move sample out of my shadow, which is correct? "Back facing sun" is vague)

I'm confused why my CH is so high. I was at 280 before the slam and I didn't use any powders and I added water several times. Maybe I should test my hose water?

Let me know if you have any advice for anything. Thanks.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast