Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clorox or chlorinating liquid?

1. Back To Top    #1

Clorox or chlorinating liquid?

Is there a preferred method to chlorinate pools? Is clorox better than say Kemtek chlorinating liquid? Kemtek says it is 10% sodium hylochlorite and 90% other ingredients.

Thanks!
    Pool finished in March 2016, 25k gal, white plaster IG pool, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Pressure Cleaner with Pentair Booster Pump, Natural rock waterfall with Pentair Waterfall specialty pump, Spa: Mastertemp 400 High Performance Heater, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clorox or chlorinating liquid?

For our purposes that are the same. The Kemtek has a higher concentration than the Clorox. 10% vs 8%.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

So then it's just a matter of cost, right?
    Pool finished in March 2016, 25k gal, white plaster IG pool, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Pressure Cleaner with Pentair Booster Pump, Natural rock waterfall with Pentair Waterfall specialty pump, Spa: Mastertemp 400 High Performance Heater, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Correct!
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

5. Back To Top    #5

Does it matter where I add chemicals? In front of jets? Near the skimmer? Shallow end or deep end? Or just spread it around evenly?

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi mbusd. I usually add bleach in front of the jet so it disperses quickly, but I know some people do other methods. If you pump is running, it will eventually mix up fine. Don't add to the skimmer though, you don't want super concentrated chemicals flowing through your equipment.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

We recommend liquid chemicals be added in front of a return jet. I generally add one chem at a time, and then brush the area around the jet a minute or two to make sure nothing came to rest on the bottom. If you're adding two things that don't go well together, like acid and chlorine, I've seen it recommended you wait about 10 minutes between each chem.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is a calculator to help you find the best deal: Liquid Chlorine Cost Calculator

Of course remember that 10% liquid stored outside in the heat for months will not still be 10%, it will have lost some strength.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by triptyx View Post
    We recommend liquid chemicals be added in front of a return jet.
    Don't laugh at me, but I am completely clueless. Is a return jet where I can feel the water come out when the pump is running? Or are the return jets the ones at the bottom of the pool?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mbusd View Post
    Don't laugh at me, but I am completely clueless. Is a return jet where I can feel the water come out when the pump is running? Or are the return jets the ones at the bottom of the pool?
    Correct, as in the water returns to the pool from the filter.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

Return is where water comes out. Returning water to the pool.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    Correct, as in the water returns to the pool from the filter.
    Ah, it makes complete sense when you put it that way. I though it meant the water was going back...to I don't know where, haha. Thanks again for all your help!