Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared

1. Back To Top    #1

Scared

Hi. I am new to listing on this forum so I am not sure i am even doing this right.
    I have a 24 round above the ground 4 foot pool purchased in 2008. I have a Hayward filter. I recently purchased a hot tube which is located next to my pool. My pool is maintained with soft swim and my hot tub uses chlorine. I want to convert my pool to chlorine for fear that my kids will go from one to the other causing cross contamination, not to mention the cost. I have been reading and studying the posts and articles that are posted. I am super SCARED to start this process and nervous about how to deal with the mess. I have printed the article "Convert Your Baquacil Pool to Chlorine" and read it numerous times and have a few questions. Please forgive me if I ask stupid questions. I'm not sure that understand.

1. Concerning the Pool math calculator. I must be doing something wrong because I cannot get it to work for me. I enter the amount of gallons and nothing happens. Am I supposed to enter more information? Is this calculator to guide me in what chemicals to use to convert or is it to help maintain my pool after I convert?

2. Concerning the CYA, where do I purchase this?

3. I use a sand filter. After filtering the goo, do I backwash or rinse? Does everyone usually have to change the sand in their filter during the conversion?

4. My pool store wants me to wait a week to see if my "B" comes down any. Currently it is at 30. She wants me to add "C" and "A" to maintain the pool while waiting for the B to go down. I haven't added anything for fear that the "C" and "A" will interfere more with the conversion. Any comments?

Thanks for helping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Scared

Hello and welcome to TFP! We'll help you.
    1. Concerning the Pool math calculator. I must be doing something wrong because I cannot get it to work for me. I enter the amount of gallons and nothing happens. Am I supposed to enter more information? Is this calculator to guide me in what chemicals to use to convert or is it to help maintain my pool after I convert?
    Once you enter your gallons at the top, then for each row you enter your NOW number and your TARGET number that you want. Then the calculator will tell you how much of something to add.
    2. Concerning the CYA, where do I purchase this?
    This is stabilizer/condition, and can be purchased at Wal-Mart of home improvement store pool sections for about $16 for a 4lb container. We generally recommend the granular stuff, not the expensive liquid.
    3. I use a sand filter. After filtering the goo, do I backwash or rinse? Does everyone usually have to change the sand in their filter during the conversion?
    You will backwash/rinse during the conversion process up to a certain point, then you will be prompted to replace all of the sand. This is one of the very few times we advise owners to replace sand.
    4. My pool store wants me to wait a week to see if my "B" comes down any. Currently it is at 30. She wants me to add "C" and "A" to maintain the pool while waiting for the B to go down. I haven't added anything for fear that the "C" and "A" will interfere more with the conversion. Any comments?
    I don't understand what the pool store is saying, nor does it really matter. You can convert at any time you are ready. Just follow the TFP Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine page and it will lead you through the process.

If you have any other questions, just let us know. Great to have you with us.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

If the Baquacil conversion article is too dry... Converting In Ga.

A few minutes spend reading Pool School - PoolMath will teach you how to use all the features in poolmath.

We like to see the colors on a BQ conversion, so take lots of pictures! Posting Photo's Tutorial
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the answers. I'm trying to figure out when to start it. Approximately how many consecutive days do I need to be readily available

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Hooverx4 View Post
    Thanks for the answers. I'm trying to figure out when to start it. Approximately how many consecutive days do I need to be readily available
    It's been so long since anyone's done one, I can't remember.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Take pictures of the process, if I remember well, there are beautiful colors during the conversion, good luck...

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

The thread Richard linked to said 6 days AND it was a little slow since "life" was happening at the same time.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    The thread Richard linked to said 6 days AND it was a little slow since "life" was happening at the same time.

Kim
    I am going to start Thursday. I bought the bleach today. I still need to get the CYA. I have 2 more questions
    1. How many gallons of bleach do I add to start the conversion?
    2. When I backwash to clean out the goo, will it kill the grass that I am draining it on? I want to know if I should prepare my neighbor.

9. Back To Top    #9

1. How many gallons of bleach do I add to start the conversion?
    I'm estimating your pool to be about 13,500 gallons. It takes almost 2.5 gallons to raise FC from 0 - 15. Those few initial gallons will go fast, and with no stabilizer added yet, it will go faster. The first 2-3 days will be critical. Just a very broad guess, but I wouldn't start unless I had about 20 gallons or so to start, with quick access nearby if I need to grab more in a pinch.

2. When I backwash to clean out the goo, will it kill the grass that I am draining it on? I want to know if I should prepare my neighbor.
    Previous posts seem to indicate that once you scoop the majority of goo out, the residual baqua in backwashed water should be fine for plant and landscapes. Still, you might want to aim it for an area less conspicuous just in case.

By the way, this is a good thread if you haven't seen it already: Another Baquacil conversion

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to update your signature!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

1. I would start with 10 gals and see how fast/slow it is going.

2. I do not know Hummmm Get a big bucket of it your water and pour it on a small patch of grass in your yard and see what happens.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    1. I would start with 10 gals and see how fast/slow it is going.

2. I do not know Hummmm Get a big bucket of it your water and pour it on a small patch of grass in your yard and see what happens.

Kim
    I know this might sound stupid, but do you just throw the goo on the ground (in the grass). I have Dogs and trying to figure out if they need to put in the house for this.

12. Back To Top    #12

With a pet I would NOT take any chances no matter what any one said...........in the house, goo in bucket with trash bag in it to be thrown in the big trash can for pick up as well as lots of rinsing to make sure there is nothing the dogs can get to.

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Hooverx4 View Post
    The heavy lifting of my conversion was done in 4 days and about 12 cases of 12.5% Chlorine. I was able to test every hour over a weekend then twice on Monday and Tuesday. The only reason my conversion took almost two weeks is because I have a light and had problems replacing the fixture in the crevice. I count the week''s worth of idle time it took to make my pool "whole."
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

14. Back To Top    #14

It's Thursday and I am starting my process today. I just checked my ph. It's 7.8. The article says 7.2-7.4. Is it that critical that I need to lower it. I really wanted to start today

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Yes, use acid to lower to 7.2 and you can start.

Can you add your pool details to your signature please?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok. I'll work on the signature as soon as I can figure out where to find it on the site. Meanwhile concerning my ph. The product I have is "lo 'n slo" and it says to add and circulate 8 hours. So you are saying that I should do that, wait the 8 hours then start the process

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Settings (top right) Edit Signature (left side)

I am assuming that is dry acid. That should dissolve and mix pretty quickly, so you could retest in 30 minutes and if it's where you were aiming you can start right away. No need to wait 8 hours.

Are you familiar with pool math and do you have a rough calculation of pool size? read OP nevermind.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

or you can click this Edit Signature
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

19. Back To Top    #19

I fixed my ph and added my initial bleach about 15 minutes ago. Yuk! My ph shot up again to 7.8. Should I correct
    15K gallon above ground 24 foot round 54 " high installed June 2008. Hayward power-Flo LX sand pump 1.5 HP. Other accessories, ladder, light and Pentair heater

20. Back To Top    #20

No. pH readings are unreliable when FC is > 10. The only test you should do now is for FC. Keep the level as close to 15 and as often as every hour, if you can. When the water clears, start testing CC.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast