Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete fell into pool.. HELP

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete fell into pool.. HELP

We're doing some backyard projects, including building a patio out of concrete... Long story short, my husband ended up in the pool with two bags of concrete, that decided to burst.

We turned off the pump, shoveled out as much as we could find (if you can imagine, the water was automatically cloudy). Now we're running the pool cleaner -we have a "dolphin" so it doesn't require the pool equipment to be on. We've cleaned out the cleaner twice since it happened, and plan to clean it out each hour or so. I've noticed when I'm pulling it out that a cloud is coming out in the water before I can get it out of the water.

We're having a wedding in our backyard on Saturday, and it would be really great if we could get it clean by then...

Other than what we're doing and/or draining and refilling, are there any tips I can use to get the pool back to blue? The particles of concrete seem to be settling, so I know it will eventually come out, but is there something I can add that will bond to the teeny particles and make them large enough to stay in the cleaner's bag? It's really, really good at picking up small particles but I think these might be smaller than normal... Also, should I turn my pump back on? I'm worried about the concrete settling in the pipe of the drain. We have a DE filter.
    33,000 freeform inground plaster with DE filter with attached "spa"

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Concrete fell into pool.. HELP

Absolutely turn the pump on and put your DE filter to work. You should be running it and the robot 24/7 (and backwashing as needed)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome, thanks for the quick response!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If you are in a rush for about $80 a vacuum hose and brush that you can insert into the skimmer might speed things along too, Walmart or Home Depot has them.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, I can even imagine how you guys felt when this all happened and now through the aftermath. I am not able to help you with any game plan as far as cleanup, but folks are helping you so you are set there, I just wanted you to know ~ I am sending clear water vibes your way in hopes you get things to your liking in time for the wedding.

If by chance you can't get the sparkle back try not to worry, you would have options ~ floating decor: balloons, lanterns or flowers could be an option and that would keep the eyes out of the water and focused on whatever you had floating. You could whip something up fairly quickly to disguise the unfortunate mishap.

Just wanted you to know you have folks you don't even know hoping things turn out for you. Please keep us posted.
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

6. Back To Top    #6

Be ready to clean the filter, here's how, Use and care for DE filters
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

So, thank you for all the advice and kind words. We're looking really good, should have no trouble clearing out by Saturday!!! YAY YAY!!!

Now, I know my PH is going to be off the charts high because of all the concrete. How often is safe to test for adding in more MA? Is 30 minutes long enough, or should I give it an hour or two?
    33,000 freeform inground plaster with DE filter with attached "spa"

8. Back To Top    #8

You have a big pool. I would wait at least an hour.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good news! You can speed that up to 30 minutes if you give it a brush. That'll mix it up faster.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

you need to be brushing the pool so the concrete doesn't settle and stick to the pool surface. Keep the pump running and that should filter out the concrete and everything else. Skimmer socks will help.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

11. Back To Top    #11

Today is Wedding Day Am hoping you got everything "just so" for it!
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day