Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuuming to waste

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuuming to waste

I know the pool stores say to always vacuum to waste. What say you guys? Growing up we never vacuumed to waste.

Jason - Mobile, AL

~ 10 year-old 25,000 Gallon IG with Spillover Spa, Plaster, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward pump, Second pump for spa and blower, booster pump for Polaris
    Old Polaris control system, City Water system, non-working gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuuming to waste

Only time I ever vac'd to waste using a manual vac was when I had excess water.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't even have the option. My backwash valve only has two positions.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

So vacuum on regular filter mode then backwash when complete. Sounds reasonable to me especially if the pool is clean and clear.

Jason - Mobile, AL

~ 10 year-old 25,000 Gallon IG with Spillover Spa, Plaster, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward pump, Second pump for spa and blower, booster pump for Polaris

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by eublet View Post
    So vacuum on regular filter mode then backwash when complete. Sounds reasonable to me especially if the pool is clean and clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You might not even need to backwash unless the pool is full of stuff.

Twice a year works for me.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I tried vacuuming to waste when I opened this year. I could watch the water level drop. I gave up, fill it back up and vacuumed on filter. I read on this forum that you can line your skimmer basket with a couple pairs of pantyhose to catch some of the fine stuff. When I do vacuum to filter my pressure rises quickly and I'm forced to backwash multiple times.
    20000 gal in ground gunite
    Hayward s200 sand filter
    Hayward 1.5up single speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

So I just vacuumed through the filter. Water in the spillover spa became cloudy. I had. It vacuumed the spa, so I know it is coming from the vacuum water through the filter. Is that cause for alarm? I've kind of felt for the last year that the sand filter isn't working so well. It's 10 years old and I'm sure has never been serviced or had the sand replaced. I intend to do a deep clean this weekend, but honestly wouldn't mind just changing the sand and starting with a clean slate.

Oh, and I added several cups of The Filter Fiber Stuff and had almost no increase in pressure.

Jason - Mobile, AL

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by eublet View Post
    So I just vacuumed through the filter. Water in the spillover spa became cloudy. I had. It vacuumed the spa, so I know it is coming from the vacuum water through the filter. Is that cause for alarm? I've kind of felt for the last year that the sand filter isn't working so well. It's 10 years old and I'm sure has never been serviced or had the sand replaced. I intend to do a deep clean this weekend, but honestly wouldn't mind just changing the sand and starting with a clean slate.

Oh, and I added several cups of The Filter Fiber Stuff and had almost no increase in pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stuff blowing through is not good.

What can happen is that the sand gets hardened up into the precursor to sandstone. Then you backwash and break it up into clods and if they don't settle back in the same places, you get big gaps between them where the water can slide through without filtering. That's channeling. Hopefully the filter fiber doesn;t slip through because it'll make a bigger mess.

If the filter hasn't been opened in ten years, it might be low on sand. Who knows how many hundreds of backwashes have been done, with a little lost sand each time?

9. Back To Top    #9

Vacuuming to waste

Well, I let the filter run overnight and this morning the pool is clear and the pressure is up from 19 to about 24 psi.

Jason - Mobile, AL

10. Back To Top    #10

19 to 24 sounds like it's time to backwash...or close.

To answer the original question, I vacuum to waste when I want to get rid of water, or if I have something nasty in my pool I want to send straight into the sewer...like gunk on the floor or something, which is not very often.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

11. Back To Top    #11

My psi after a good backwash is 18-19. Goes up from there.

Jason - Mobile, AL