Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EMERGENCY ACTIONS - About to cut pumps out in case of flood

1. Back To Top    #1

EMERGENCY ACTIONS - About to cut pumps out in case of flood

So, we are about to have an imminent flood situation thanks to the Brazos river and I figured I may as well pick up the equipment. For some unknown reason the building did not put in unions so I'm about to head out with the sawzall and when I reassemble I will put in unions. Just wanted to throw up some pics in case ya'll may have any suggestions. My plans are to cut in sections where I will be able to easily reassemble with unions. I put the letter "X" on where I'm thinking of cutting and putting the unions back in. Can't hurt to ask!

If you do have any comments, please respond quickly. I'm going to go pull the low voltage lights around the pool now and then plan on chopping away!

I will cut the power to the pool and shut off the gas of course. I also picked up some 2" caps to cover the open pipes and will close the valves. Thanks!

25K gal FF; QuartzScapes Barbados Blue; ColorLogic LEDs, ProLogic PS-8, AquaPod, AquaConnect, (3) WhisperFlo 2.5HP pumps, 1HP blower, 3/4HP cleaner pump; Pentair CC 520 cartridge filter; MasterTemp 400 propane, Rainbow 320; UltraPure UV/Ozone; Polaris 280; 7' raised spa by rock waterside; (soon) 62" fire pit, (soon) ODK; 60x40 screen enclosure
    Build - here.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: EMERGENCY ACTIONS - About to cut pumps out in case of flood

Yeah, I just saw the news about the river cresting. You have a good plan and I would say go for it now while you can. Even if a fitting needs to be changed later, it's a few cents compares to the $$$ on those pumps. Be safe.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ideally the unions are right in front and above the pump allowing you to work on the fitting into the pump if it leaks. Not possible with yours.

You may not fit a union in front of the right pump since the pipe below may be in the way.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Ideally the unions are right in front and above the pump allowing you to work on the fitting into the pump if it leaks. Not possible with yours.

You may not fit a union in front of the right pump since the pipe below may be in the way.
    I noticed that and when the time for reassembly comes I may do some reconfiguring but you are correct, there will be an issue putting a union on the inlet of the right pump because of the pipe below it.
    25K gal FF; QuartzScapes Barbados Blue; ColorLogic LEDs, ProLogic PS-8, AquaPod, AquaConnect, (3) WhisperFlo 2.5HP pumps, 1HP blower, 3/4HP cleaner pump; Pentair CC 520 cartridge filter; MasterTemp 400 propane, Rainbow 320; UltraPure UV/Ozone; Polaris 280; 7' raised spa by rock waterside; (soon) 62" fire pit, (soon) ODK; 60x40 screen enclosure
    Build - here.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Grab these unions, they work great.. Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2 Garden

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response.
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Grab these unions, they work great.. Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2 Garden

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response.
    Sweet! Those are cool! Thanks!
    Build - here.

7. Back To Top    #7

Man, I keep going back and forth on whether or not to do it now. I did order 6 of those unions above and they should be here Monday or Tuesday. If I take the equipment now I will have no filtration until at least those days. So, I'm thinking these are my options...

1.) Take equipment now.
    2.) Turn power back on bring pool up to shock level and then take equipment.
    3.) Turn power back on, monitor the yard for rising water, and pull equipment if it looks inevitable. If it doesn't happen, great, I'll put the unions on sometime next week.

I have seen the yard flood before and I can see the water creeping up, I just have no idea about this river stuff and what may happen. Does the water creep up as normal or does a friggin' Tsunami just come jamming on through.
    Build - here.

8. Back To Top    #8

A combination of 2 & 3. Take to SLAM level now just in case and wait. If you have to "cut & run", you're ready and the water may hold better. Have a floater with some tabs ready too.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and option 4, a cold beer.

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

You may not have filtration but you could have circulation with just adding bleach and brushing.

I have to say the pool would be my last worry in your case. Good luck.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    A combination of 2 & 3. Take to SLAM level now just in case and wait. If you have to "cut & run", you're ready and the water may hold better. Have a floater with some tabs ready too.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and option 4, a cold beer.

I'm good on option 4, already moved the shop fridge to the attached garage.

13315336_10209619145692900_5618968701748890718_n.jpg
    Build - here.

11. Back To Top    #11

Bwaahaaahaaaa!

12. Back To Top    #12

If you don't want to cut, you can just pull the motors, 4 bolts each
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    You may not have filtration but you could have circulation with just adding bleach and brushing.

I have to say the pool would be my last worry in your case. Good luck.
    Thanks! And I hear ya'. The pool came last, while I've never had my shop flood, I've already moved other items just in case. I know flood insurance is weird and they do not cover pools and I didn't want to mess with it for expensive tools in the shop, nor in this instance would my homeowner's since it would fall under flood. At least with my attached garage packed homeowner's would kick in should it flood and flood not cover it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    I like cutting up stuff but I did not think of that!
    Build - here.

14. Back To Top    #14

RATS! I wish I would've though of that.

15. Back To Top    #15

After you take motors off cover the pump opening with some plastic to keep all the river water junk out. You could get a submersible(sp) pump to keep circulation going, provided you have power
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the info! Thinking about it, this would make it easier. I'd just remove the pump motors and the heater. The filter should be fine as long as it doesn't float off. Lol. Hmmmm...
    Build - here.

17. Back To Top    #17

Don't forget to pull the 24v actuator off that never lube valve
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

18. Back To Top    #18

We are still flooding up here in Richmond. They say the river has crested but the water is still rising very slowly as of an hour ago. We are behind a levee system so we are fine but many of my friends are not so lucky. I hope the water stays away from you.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy View Post
    We are still flooding up here in Richmond. They say the river has crested but the water is still rising very slowly as of an hour ago. We are behind a levee system so we are fine but many of my friends are not so lucky. I hope the water stays away from you.
    I may have to do like that woman did over here and build a levee around my property. Lol Glad to hear you are OK! I hope it stays away as well. I have nothing new to report here, still dry and no sight of rising water but we are in no way out of danger of it. I hope everyone is wrong. I did bring the pool up to shock level and have not cut the pumps yet. I should have the unions on Monday but will be ready to pull the motors today if need be.
    Build - here.

20. Back To Top    #20

We're getting pounded today. Apparently it's our turn. Should be some good news stories tonight. My son is pumping-out our pool as I type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast