First Full Summer...TFPC

After re-reading your entire thread, a SLAM is the logical/correct step to take. If your SLAM FC is correct for the CYA, the SLAM will kill the algae and filtering will remove the dead algae. Two other things that would prolong a SLAM are hiding places in a pool that could hold live algae, or the CYA test not accurate resulting in the FC not being high enough. You're brushing well, so it may still simply be a FC/CYA balancing issue. You had some stabilizer increasing issues early on, perhaps going a bit too high, but you did however state above you're comfortable with the CYA test. So if you're sure about the current CYA (80), then it may be a matter of maintaining the FC (31) more consistency. For example, while there's not much you can do about FC dropping while you sleep, during the day it's imperative to try and maintain the FC. For the FC to drop from 31 to about 18 during the day will stall your progress. It's especially important during the day when your FC is fighting the sun's UV along with algae.

What if my CYA is higher than i think it is??? I assume it would take longer or not work at all???? Should i add enough to bring it up to 39... Shock value for 100?? Being the pool was clear would it take this long??? Light niche is clean.. And no ladders

You can certainly try, although I am concerned about the uncertainty of the CYA. Have you tried the diluted testing method recently just in case?
CYA Dilution Testing:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

Managing a pool is a very methodical process. It is important to go slow and understand what you are doing as you change parameters.

1. Why do you think your CYA is higher than 80?

2. Should you add more FC? Of course not.

Take a deep breath and let's get started clearing your pool. This may take a while so answer question 1 above and we'll get started.

You can test the CYA with the diluted method just fine with a high FC. But with everything you've been through, I suspect your CYA is the sticking point. So go ahead and do that CYA test again. Try the diluted method first in case it shot-up more than you expected. Remember ....
Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Well.. I'm getting consistant 40's on the CYA dilute.. So I'll keep the FC at 31 for as long as it takes... Topping off more frequently during the day... Thx PAT! Check back later... Need to refill my tanker truck.. Have a nice Sunday! Would it go faster if i kept FC at 35 or 39? Or is that just being wasteful??

Just keep it at 31 then. Anything more doesn't have enough time to work on algae before the sun gets it so it's a waste. I'm pulling weeds today, so I suspect your SLAM is even more enjoyable than mine. :) Have a good day.
Monsoon just starting... Hope to get this done before a duststorm...Use surflan for those weeds.. Sterilizes the seed b4 it sprouts..Pricey but works great.. Thx for ur support!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not really. That doesn't make sense since adding bleach should increase the FC to whatever you want it to go to. Even though the water may look clear, organic material can be present that we can't see which will use-up excess FC and/or eventually begin to make the water cloudy. We already determined a SLAM was the next logical step, and the elevated CYA of 80 you currently have, increasing FC to 31 should not be a problem.

What i mean is shouldn't it be holding more FC with each dose? It seems to just hover between 22-25.. Not gaining any ground...Im adding 31But the next time i test the Fc wont rise any higher than 22-25.. Think you misunderstood me.Last year the FC held after 3 days of slamming..with the same CYA of 80...............Just wondering how long?? Although i tested the CYA dilute and 100%..what if my actual CYA is higher or lower than it actually is..Could that be why my FC isnt rising with each addition of bleach?

What i mean is shouldn't it be holding more FC with each dose? It seems to just hover between 22-25.. Not gaining any ground...Im adding 31But the next time i test the Fc wont rise any higher than 22-25.. Think you misunderstood me.Last year the FC held after 3 days of slamming..with the same CYA of 80...............Just wondering how long?? Although i tested the CYA dilute and 100%..what if my actual CYA is higher or lower than it actually is..Could that be why my FC isnt rising with each addition of bleach?
. Ok completed slam but still losing 5 ppm fc a day...with a cya of 80... From what i understand i need to have a higher residual but supposed to lose less... ???

I'm in AZ, I lose ~ 4ppm during the day and I am @ 4500 ft elevation, so it may be the freaking sun! my cya was 35 to 40 until the rain today, but I am planning to take it to 60+ per conversations here earlier.

I did hand another thought, didn't see in the thread (though I might have missed it) - backwash filter or a deep clean? maybe there are some nasties hiding in there?

I'm in AZ, I lose ~ 4ppm during the day and I am @ 4500 ft elevation, so it may be the freaking sun! my cya was 35 to 40 until the rain today, but I am planning to take it to 60+ per conversations here earlier.

I did hand another thought, didn't see in the thread (though I might have missed it) - backwash filter or a deep clean? maybe there are some nasties hiding in there?

IDK? Filter pressure is good.. I guess i could try it.. I missed the deep clean thing.. Search it when i have time... I've read on here with about 80 you need to have a higher FC residual but you dont lose as much during the day... Cant get that to happen .... Gotta add 85 oz / day......where r u in tucson... Thx for your reply....Plus if the filter was dirty i dont think it would have passed OCLT

Catching-up on your last few posts. So your CYA was 80, now around 50-60. You have now passed the OCLT (assuming clear water and no CCs). Losing 5-6 ppm FC each day is too much. If it's not organic, then it may now be time to raise that CYA up again. It's one of the two - algae or sun. I agree Pv2, it would be ideal to check that filter. After a while the sand gets compacted and develops channels. The water may seem to flow through it fine but isn't actually "filtering" through the layers of sand the way it was designed. Also, I didn't go back and look ... but do you have a light set into a niche? If so, did you already remove it and clean behind the light in that niche?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.