Super green pool & problems with pool store suggestions

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I have good news! The pool is now mostly clear. The shallow end is pretty much completely clear. The deep end is still a little cloudy but I can clearly see the bottom.

There is also some yellow staining/algae (??) near on the side of the liner near on/near the return jet in the shallow end. I've tried scrubbing it off but it doesn't come off at all.

If it passes the overnight chlorine test, would it be okay to let the FC drop back down to safe swimming levels over the next couple of days?

WOW, what a difference! Congrats!

Remember to finish a SLAM you must pass all 3 criteria:

1. Pool looks clear and beautiful, no cloudiness

2. Pass the OCLT

3. CC at or less than 0.5

How do you stack up?

The best part is you'll never have to buy that expensive cal-hypo again!

I performed the OCLT and my tests showed that the FC dropped about 2.5ppm overnight. I tested after sunset when it was pretty much dark last night, and again this morning when the sun was just coming up and there was definitely no direct sunlight on any of the pool.

Thursday will make 3 weeks of SLAMing. I know this process can take some time, but one more week will make almost a month of SLAMing. Is this normal or are we missing something? We've already gone through a couple hundred dollars of supplies throughout this process so I'm getting a little anxious, but I understand that while there are still organics in the pool, we will have to continue SLAMing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you taken out the lights? Cleaned around all returns and the skimmer? Cleaned under/behind the steps?

I've vigorously scrubbed everything I can get to. This includes skimmers, steps, and all the miscellaneous cracks and crevices. There is a pool light about a foot and a half below the diving board in the deep end (it's never worked/we never figured out how to turn it on) and I've scrubbed it and the crevice around it as well several times. Would I have to drain the pool to below the light to take it off and clean it better? That doesn't really sound very practical lol

I've vigorously scrubbed everything I can get to. This includes skimmers, steps, and all the miscellaneous cracks and crevices. There is a pool light about a foot and a half below the diving board in the deep end (it's never worked/we never figured out how to turn it on) and I've scrubbed it and the crevice around it as well several times. Would I have to drain the pool to below the light to take it off and clean it better? That doesn't really sound very practical lol
You don't have to drain the pool. The light is a sealed unit in a niche in the pool wall. There should be one screw at the 12 o'clock position. Remove,that screw and the housing should float free. Code says there should be sufficient cord behind the light to allow you to lift it up to the pool deck. You want to clean inside that niche.

You don't have to drain the pool. The light is a sealed unit in a niche in the pool wall. There should be one screw at the 12 o'clock position. Remove,that screw and the housing should float free. Code says there should be sufficient cord behind the light to allow you to lift it up to the pool deck. You want to clean inside that niche.

Interesting! Does this mean that I can change the pool light as well without draining? Would be pretty nifty to get it working.

I'll try to remove that screw tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

I just removed the fixture and as soon as I pulled it out of the housing, tons of green algae and gunk immediately started pouring out!! I scrubbed it out and am letting all the gunk settle so I can vacuum it up later, then will follow up with another scrubbing before reinstalling the fixture.

How often would you guys suggest cleaning this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.