First time SLAMer

May 25, 2016
Audubon, PA
Hi All,

Bought a house with a pool 2.5 years ago. First year in the house was at the end of the summer, so didn't do any pool maintenance except having it closed. Last year, we relied heavily on the local pool shop to open the pool, install a new pump (forget the model currently, will add to signature when I know), and tell us how to treat the water. We struggled all summer long with a persistent algae problem that never really got resolved (and of course were roped into buying all sorts of algaecides, phosphate treatments, etc that I now know were a waste of money). Then over the winter, our cover sprang some holes and when we opened the pool, we were met with a rather impressive swamp.

Fortunately I've come across TFP and know I need to SLAM. I'd like to get this going this weekend, as with the Memorial Day holiday I'll have a solid few days to pay close attention to the pool. However, I need to get a TF-100 test kit (the test kit I inherited doesn't have a FAS-DPD test, and I'm out of the reagent to test CYA). Of course, the test kit isn't going to arrive until sometime after the holiday weekend.

So I know this is a long shot, but I'm wondering if there's anyway to SLAM the pool without the FAS-DPD test? Am I stuck waiting until a new, good test kit arrives? Is there any sense to running the filter 24/7, dumping in a bunch of bleach pretty regularly until the water turns clear, and backwashing the filter when necessary?

I'd REALLY, REALLY like to make this happen this weekend, and I don't think there are any stores locally that I could grab a kit with a FAS-DPD test (Leslie's exists, but I'd really prefer to not pay more for a kit that's not as good as the TF-100).

Is there any hope for me getting a head start on it this weekend and taking advantage of the day off of work?

THANKS!

Unfortunately, you need that FAS-DPD kit to test FC (and CC) with enough accuracy to call the SLAM complete. Strips and color charts will not get you the accuracy this requires, or test at the elevated levels you need to have present. You also need to know your accurate CYA level, otherwise you don't know what FC level to target. Or if it's even a reasonable target (high CYA may need to be adjusted first).

In the meantime, it's still a good idea to keep adding some bleach each day. Even if not trying to maintain shock level, it will help keep the pool from getting worse until you can accurately follow the SLAM procedure.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The TF-100 is on the way, so I should be able to actually SLAM it when it arrives (probably have to wait until the first weekend in June). I just didn't know if there were any chemical magicians out there who had a trick up their sleeve for figuring out FC levels that are off the charts of my kit that only goes up to about 5.

Thanks for the input on adding some bleach each day. I'll get on that and maybe I can see a little progress between now and when I can actually SLAM (or at least prevent it from getting worse...). Any idea how much I should be adding? FC is currently 0. No idea what my CYA is. TA is about 90. Ph is 7.5.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.