Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Good kit to pick up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Good kit to pick up?

Looking to get away from the strips this season. Is this a good kit to pick up?

New Aquaguard Complete Professional Pool and Spa Water Test Kit K 2006 Taylor | eBay

Cheers!
    pool size - 40kgal
    finish - Gunite
    pump size in horsepower and brand-Variable Speed, Hayward EcoStar SVRS3400
    filter size - Sta-Rite S8M150
    additional equipment - Hayward CL220 Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Good kit to pick up?

That is fine ... the TF-100 from tftestkits.net is usually a better value. (although that auction is pretty cheap, I would worry about its age) See the comparison here: Recommended Test Kits

EDIT: Also, I am not sure that actually uses Taylor reagents ... it might be some generic stuff. I am very wary.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Response from seller when asked age of reagents and if they are Taylor:

The reagents were manufactured this year. Aquaguard/aqualab/bio lab is a larger manufacturer of pool supplies. They sell to home depot, Lowes and pool retailers. Taylor is more commonly known because of they're contract with Walmart.

Should I still go with it?
    pool size - 40kgal
    finish - Gunite

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jmagoulas View Post

The reagents were manufactured this year. Aquaguard/aqualab/bio lab is a larger manufacturer of pool supplies. They sell to home depot, Lowes and pool retailers. Taylor is more commonly known because of they're contract with Walmart.

No, you really want Taylor reagents.

At my age I have discovered you get what you pay for.

As Jason pointed out, the TF-100 is a better value. While they recently raised their price to $70 they now include the 50ppm standard reagent for the CYA test. This test is the hardest for folks to master so this standard solution that lets you see what 50 really looks like is a great addition.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I have never seen Taylor stuff in Walmart so ..................I know I have seen HTH but...........

Everything about that kit screams Taylor rebranded. Just my observation.........it is your money but........

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I think you'd be asking for a hassle in the future when you say I need a refill for reagent number six and none of us have any idea what the heck that is.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Looking to get away from the strips this season. Is this a good kit to pick up?

New Aquaguard Complete Professional Pool and Spa Water Test Kit K 2006 Taylor | eBay

Cheers!
    That kit is NOT the same as the Taylor K2006
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy70 View Post
    That kit is NOT the same as the Taylor K2006
    Correct, it is a DPD test kit, not a FAS/DPD kit. It's chlorine test will be limited to 10 rather than the 50 we look for.

I still vote pass on this one.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Really? I thought I saw a bottle of powder.

Although I still wouldn't get it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Keep in mind the sponsors of this site sell the TF 100. When you buy from them it may be a touch more expensive but you are helping to support the site.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Really? I thought I saw a bottle of powder.

Although I still wouldn't get it.
    Nevermind. I think I was looking at the squirt bottle for the CYA test and thinking it was the powder. This certainly does not have the FAS-DPD chlorine test, so it is similar to the K-2005 and NOT!!! the K-2006.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks guys for all the posts. I will be passing on it.
    pool size - 40kgal
    finish - Gunite

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
    Keep in mind the sponsors of this site sell the TF 100. When you buy from them it may be a touch more expensive but you are helping to support the site.
    Actually, the TF=100 is less expensive.

TF-100 - $70

Taylor K-2006-C = $99

You have to be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

14. Back To Top    #14

A pool your size would benefit most from the TF-100. It has more of the reagents for the tests you do most often.

Folks who buy the Taylor K-2006 test kit often need refills sooner, especially if any pool water problem arises.

You can order the TF-100 via two places: Pool Supplies, Spa Supplies and Parts or TFTestkits.net
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain