Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about chlorine lock

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: Chlorine Lock Causes?

I am also having an issue with chlorine. Last year we could not keep the chlorine level high enough to show up on a test. The CYA levels were fine. This year we drained some of the water but still cannot get a chlorine reading to last more than a couple hours. What do you suggest?

Finally got my test kit. Result from yesterday are:
    CYA 80
    FC 7 (after adding 2gal bleach)
    CC 2.5
    ph 7.5
    TA 180
    CH 400

This morning the readings were:
    FC .5
    CC 2

The water is crystal clear and there is no algae. Do we need to keep the chlorine level at 6 as stated in the chart for it to be safe to swim in?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about chlorine lock

Something's eating your chlorine. It's either organics or sunlight.

Organics include things like leaves and twigs, algae, and the A-word: Ammonia.

A seriously green pool will devour chlorine like nobody's business, but you ought to be showing something on the test if you checked it within an hour of adding chlorine. A pool with Ammonia makes a green pool look anorexic. It'll eliminate chlorine as fast as you can pour it in the water.

The place to start is with some test results. Also, tell us where they came from (what kit) and what kind of pool and equipment you have, and what the water looks like.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome Back! I moved this question into its own thread.

I suggest you read all 11 of the responses in the thread you started last year and then see if you still have questions:
    Chlorine lock...is it real and what's the remedy?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

It is probably ammonia take a look at THIS thread. Also what kind of test kit do you have others will be along shortly and it will be helpful if you can post some test results.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

bkmomof4,

Welcome to the forum.

As you continue to read, you will find that we teach that you take the bull by the horns and learn to manage your pool. In short, "Stay out of the Pool Store"

Anyone talking with you about chlorine lock is either terribly under educated or simply doesn't want to learn.

Chlorine Lock is a myth that doesn't exist. If you decide to learn what we teach here at TFP, we will promise you will end up with crystal clear water and a whole new understanding of how this all works

You will find it increasingly difficult to follow our advice and then follow pool store advice as well. The two simply don't mix well.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP Bkmomof4

Chlorine lock should end up on myth busters so it can be debunked. IMHO, It's something the pool store person will say when they don't know what's going on. Usually followed by a 30 to 60 bottle of "try this".

A photo of the water would be helpful as would adding your pools and equipment information in your signature as outlined here: Pool School - Getting Started

The more information we have the more accurate and helpful the response

As stated above it's more likely something is eating your chlorine. Need to know your CYA level and what you are using for a chlorinator and if it's your test results or you are having the pool store test for you.

'70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Chlorine Lock Causes?

Finally got my test kit in the mail. Results from yesterday are:
    CYA 80
    FC 7 (after adding 2gals bleach)
    CC 2.5
    ph 7.5
    CH 400
    TA 180

This morning results were
    CC .5
    CC 2

the water is crystal clear and no algae. Do I need to keep the chlorine level at 6 as stated on the chart in order for the water to be safe for swimming?
    25K, IG vinyl, sand filter, 10 yrs old, TF100 test kit, elec htr

8. Back To Top    #8

Check your math... CC of .5 and CC of 2 at the same time? I think you mean FC of 2 and CC of .5. If you had an FC of 7 last night and FC of 2 today, you have something organic growing in your pool. Was your initial FC of 7 taken near dusk, or earlier in the day?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Check your math... CC of .5 and CC of 2 at the same time? I think you mean FC of 2 and CC of .5. If you had an FC of 7 last night and FC of 2 today, you have something organic growing in your pool. Was your initial FC of 7 taken near dusk, or earlier in the day?
    Agreed. Just because water is clear doesn't mean something isn't growing in it sight unseen. I had clear water last year after an oops on my part that was consuming 3ppm FC overnight...
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

The initial test was taken around 5pm. The morning results were as written
    FC .5
    CC 2

11. Back To Top    #11

OK, that's a clear indication that you have algae. Time to SLAM:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Per the chart I'd need to reach a 31 chlorine level to slam. My CYA is 80. Probably not realistic. There is no visible algae growth. Is it safe to swim in?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Bkmomof4 View Post
    Per the chart I'd need to reach a 31 chlorine level to slam. My CYA is 80. Probably not realistic. There is no visible algae growth. Is it safe to swim in?
    Do you mean it is not realistic to fix the issue?

Personally, I will not swim in a pool that will not hold FC, or one that has algae.

14. Back To Top    #14

Why is that not realistic? That is exactly what you need to do until you pass the 3 criteria to stop. You are currently only passing 1 of them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

You have nascent algae. There is just enough chlorine being added to keep the algae from blooming, but not enough chlorine to kill off all the algae.

Believe me, you need to complete the SLAM process or you will go through 10 times more chlorine than you should. Been there done that.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    You have nascent algae. There is just enough chlorine being added to keep the algae from blooming, but not enough chlorine to kill off all the algae.

Believe me, you need to complete the SLAM process or you will go through 10 times more chlorine than you should. Been there done that.
    We all have learned this the hard way at least once I think.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Bkmomof4 View Post
    Just a thought... have you added any non-chlorine "shock"? That's stuff like Chlor-free and Oxone. MPS will give a false high CC reading.

If the pH is in range and the FC is above minimum for the CYA level, then technically I guess the pool is safe to swim in. People have been swimming in rivers and lakes and ponds with no test results for centuries and haven't been dying from it. But if that CC is CC and not interference, expect skin irritation and burning eyes.

Taking FC up to 31 is not so difficult. It's just a matter of emptying some jugs. If you get a good kill on whatever is growing -- and it can't be much if the water is clear -- then maintaining it shouldn't take any huge volume of bleach. It's just getting it up there initially that looks so daunting. And if it does have an unquenchable thirst for bleach, then it's just a matter of time before the pool turns to a swamp.

Also check for algae lurking behind lights and stairs and inside ladders. You still haven't filled out your signature so we have no clue what we're dealing with.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks Richard 320. What else would you like to know that is not in my signature?

19. Back To Top    #19

30,000 gal IG 20x40 8ft deep end vinyl liner in NE Ohio DOB Sept 2012
    Hayward 4820 DE filter, Hayward SP2610x15 1.5HP single speed pump
    Hayward H400FDN natural gas heater, Frog min'l/Cl2 system (not in use)
    autocover, Dolphin DX4 cleaner, well water, TF100 test kit

20. Back To Top    #20

I have been slamming since Tuesday. This morning(Saturday) my FC had a 2.5 loss overnight and the CC was 1.5. I followed the prep instructions to the letter. I have added at least 40 gallons of bleach. Am I doing something wrong? This seems extreme considering the water looked good before I started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast